Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP.3 help thread

1. Back To Top    #91

Re: Helix DSP.3 help thread

So I'm unfamiliar with shelf filters. I kind of understand what they do, but can someone give me a "real life" example of when/why you would use them? My current DSR-1 DSP doesn't have that functionality, so I'm just curious...

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #92
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    So I'm unfamiliar with shelf filters. I kind of understand what they do, but can someone give me a "real life" example of when/why you would use them? My current DSR-1 DSP doesn't have that functionality, so I'm just curious...

Thanks in advance!
    Lets say you just finished your tune, followed the house curve of your choice to a T, yadi yadi ya.. Sounds good, except you like a little more bass, so what do you do? you DONT just up the gain on the sub, since that will effect the crossover and phase relationship between sub and midbass. What you do is apply a shelf filter globally, or to the midbass and sub of the same settings and adjust your low end that way. Same goes if the top end is too hot or not hot enough. Or lets say you have a weird rising response in your midrange. use a shelf filter to level it out instead of using 5 or whatever parametric filters.

3. Back To Top    #93
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

It basically raises/lowers all frequencies above or below it by the amount you specify. High shelf is for everything higher than it, low shelf is everything lower than it. If you set a low shelf at 100hz and raise it by 3db, it should raise everything below 100hz by 3db.

(I had this typed but apparently never posted it earlier)
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #94

Got it - makes complete sense now.

Thank you!

5. Back To Top    #95

I hope to finally install my PAC AmpPro 4 and Helix DSP.3 this weekend. I would love to get some more details on some of the "FX" features though.

@dobslob - can you possibly give any further details about the following FX options on the DSP.3 (and other Helix processors that support them)?

1. Augmented Bass Processing:
    - Dynamic Bass Enhancement - It sounds like this is kind of like a dynamic "loudness" function that modified the sub output depending on the volume level. So at lower volumes, I'm assuming it boosts the bass a little. Personally, I'd love to have this feature, simply because sometimes bass is too low at lower volumes. If it constantly adjusts the bass level as the volume increases, that would be awesome. Just looking for more details as to exactly how this works.

- SubXpander - Not clear on what this actually does either.

I'm assuming that these functions only work on the sub - and not midbass speakers though, is that correct (to me, it would be nice if the bass adjustments went into the midbass a little as well - maybe up to 200hz or so) - or better yet, let it all be adjustable...

2. Front Processing:
    - StageXpander - What this is and how it works?

- ClarityXpander - Again, exactly what it does and how it works.

I know there are short descriptions in the app, but I guess I'm looking for a little more detail.

Also - for "Front Processing" - what speakers are impacted? Tweeters? Mids? Midbass? It's not real clear what channels are impacted. I'm not really sure if I would need the "link to C+D" option since my A and B channels are actually coaxial speakers (combined tweeters and mid). So C + D in my case would be midbass speakers. I'm assuming these functions would only impact mids and highs, but....

Again, any detail and/or clarity you can provide would be great - even if it's just a link to some post somewhere or some documentation where I may have missed it.

Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #96
    Real Name
    Nick

I can tell you that stage expander injects out of phase, opposite side signal into left/right channels giving an effect on the sound that makes it sound wide. sometimes it works well. Clarity expander im pretty sure just adds harmonics in the top end of the frequency response kinda like how audiocontrols accubass does on the low end. pretty sure subxpander does the same thing.

7. Back To Top    #97

So I have removed my DSR-1 and have tore apart the dash in my 2018 Challenger and connected the AmpPro4 - and replaced the DSR-1 with a Helix DSP.3 in the trunk - and wired everything up....

Am I the only one that is "paranoid" about reconnecting that car battery the first time after such upgrades?? :-) I can just see my money going up in smoke (literally) if there is anything power-related that isn't just right. :-) A lot of wiring changes at the same time since I replaced the DSR-1 with an AP4/Helix DSP.3 setup.

I've turned all of my amp gains down to minimum and plan to leave all speakers disconnected at first - as well as the under-the-seat sub RCAs. Then, once I make sure the Helix powers up OK and that it powers up my amp and under-seat sub via the remote wires OK, then I'll make sure I can connect to the Helix and that all looks OK there with the input/output matrix, crossover setup, etc. Then I'll set gains and finally connect speakers and under-seat sub.

Of course then I have to retune everything since the DSR-1 uses "non-standard" Q's - so I'm just going to retune from scratch - will probably just use the Helix RTA/auto-tune initially and then decide if I'm going to leave it there or re-tune via parametric EQ using REW instead.

Anyone have any hints for anything I haven't thought about? Wish me luck!!! :-)

8. Back To Top    #98

Don't need to be paranoid. Just hook everything up and triple check it. If it's correct, there will be a big spark!!
    I happen to have 2 fire extinguishers in the garage lol.

9. Back To Top    #99
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

mmm, AmpPro

10. Back To Top    #100

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    mmm, AmpPro