Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockwool in your doors?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Rockwool in your doors?

cms983,

Anechoic chambers are great for testing drivers. Music listening not so much, preferably, not at all.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I’m also a huge proponent for absorption wrapped in plastic. Made a huge difference in clarity and also I believed helped a lot of backwave issues and door car energy along will sealing the doors well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    cms983,

Anechoic chambers are great for testing drivers. Music listening not so much, preferably, not at all.
    He's talking about making the inside of the doors anechoic not the cabin. Pretty sure it would be a good thing in the door.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Anechoic = sucking out everything after initial response.
    In a vehicle the antinodes couple making output "more" . Lowering resonant frequency of doorskin is desirable to get rid of vibrations.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I put about an inch thick layer of Safe N Sound in my doors years ago thinking it would have some sound absorption properties too. It is held in place with some chicken wire. I can't say for certain I hear a difference, but I certainly think it sounds better since I put all the work into it : )

I checked on in a few years after installing it and it's still in good shape without obvious mold or water problems. I did make sure it was hydrophobic by dunking some in the pool before I installed it though, so maybe that helped me get lucky with not wrapping it in plastic like others have done.

I just want to say. What a beautiful door to work on.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Try putting a plastic shopping bag in front of your ear and see how much sound it will block (spoiler alert: not much). Similarly, wrapping rockwool in some plastic won't make it less effective.
    If the plastic is soft enough it would allow most mid and bass through, but the higher frequencies would bounce right off the plastic. The rockwool works by allowing the air to come in, and then get “tangled up” in the diffusion and the “limpness”. Although the difference may not be considered substantial, there would be a difference.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Hi, This looks like your first post here? Welcome to the forum!

At some level you are right, there would be some difference. You might be able to measure it with a microphone. But would you be able to notice the difference after it is installed inside your door?

If you can, come work with me and teach me how.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #18

If there was a video on this topic it would be so much better.