Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwool in your doors?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Rockwool in your doors?

Curious: I know you can use rockwool on the outside of your house for exterior insulation and reducing thermal bridging, but wasn't sure how it would work installed in a vehicle door. Rockwool is moisture resistant, but haven't researched how much so. I can see some huge benefits of a proper installation: greatly reduced road noise, improved acoustics within the door panel, obviously be thermal insulation, etc. One would have to insure it doesn't interfere with the window of course.

There are several types of this insulation, ranging from loose and lofty to dense and stiff. Safe N' Sound is a common one I see a lot. Would be rather worthless to try and attach to the skin of a door, but some of the Roxul 60 or 80 boards might work. Unsure of how to adhere it best to the skin of a door, but if you could, it would work really well I'd bet.

Anybody tried this before?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Rockwool in your doors?

Moisture resistant doesn't mean moisture proof. If you're going to do something like that in a door with roll-down windows, you'd want to encapsulate it in some heavy plastic. Several people have use rigid fiberglass wrapped in heavy-mil plastic and taped on the edges.

3. Back To Top    #3

I used some roxul rockboard 60 in my last car and this car I'm doing now. I cut it in half so it's about one inch thick and placed some across the top, middle, and a thicker piece behind the midbass. It's wrapped tight in 1 mil plastic drop cloth to keep the moisture off of it. Attached to door with 3m super 77 spray adhesive and some HVAC ducting tape. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191019_151045.jpg 
Views:	1253 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	7305

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

OK, looks like I know what I must do then!

What differences did you notice by doing this?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

I'm using two layers of 1" Roxul AFB in my passenger door. I randomly placed scrap pieces of mlv between the layers and wrapped the whole thing with 3.5mil plastic sealed with gorilla outdoor tape.

Here is a link to more info and my vein attempt to measure it's impact: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...all-plots.html

I recently put 19 squares of Focal Black Hole Tiles in my driver's door also. I have no measurements to back any thing up but I will say the Roxul/mlv sandwich does seem to do a better job then the Black Hole Tiles. I only say this because the mirror on the driver's door still dances violently with heavy midbass while the mirror on the passenger door does not. I can also feel, with my hand, the door trim panel vibrations are less on the passenger door.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I put about an inch thick layer of Safe N Sound in my doors years ago thinking it would have some sound absorption properties too. It is held in place with some chicken wire. I can't say for certain I hear a difference, but I certainly think it sounds better since I put all the work into it : )

I checked on in a few years after installing it and it's still in good shape without obvious mold or water problems. I did make sure it was hydrophobic by dunking some in the pool before I installed it though, so maybe that helped me get lucky with not wrapping it in plastic like others have done.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't say for sure I heard a huge difference before and after but it's certainly helping some because it is absorbing some frequencies and helping that metal door become anechoic. I'm no expert but I feel like it may help more in a two way setup where the door speaker is playing up to 2-3khz than in a 3 way where midbass is only playing up to 300hz. Either way, I have a bunch of this stuff laying around anyway so I just throw it in there.

8. Back To Top    #8

would wrapping up the insulation hurt its ability to properly absorb rear waves?

9. Back To Top    #9
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    would wrapping up the insulation hurt its ability to properly absorb rear waves?
    Try putting a plastic shopping bag in front of your ear and see how much sound it will block (spoiler alert: not much). Similarly, wrapping rockwool in some plastic won't make it less effective.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

The user keep_hope_alive is an acoustics engineer and swears by plastic-wrapped insulation in the doors

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...ll=1#post16355