Thread: Almost built up my DIYMA profile, then saw this was the new place to be... so...

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Almost built up my DIYMA profile, then saw this was the new place to be... so...

Here I am!

I was on caraudioforums.com (I think that was it..) back in the early 2000's and haven't really been on a dedicated audio forum since. Since I'm building a decent budget SQL system, figured I need a new home.

I'm fairly experienced in all the basics, from enclosure modeling/design and building, fiberglassing, RTA tuning, DSP tuning, etc. I've also done a lot of home audio/theater. Plenty of various online projects and currently rocking a 4-way DSP setup in my living room that is in-wall (8-6-1.5-6-8-18-18 per L/R channel, basically).

I love playing with some low end, as long as it can reach down low, but I also have great appreciation for a flat response and a great stereo image. I have a small studio I built (mostly for my own band, but I do some gigs to the side) and have studied room acoustics quite a bit.

I've recently just gotten back into car audio after having an itch for a few years.

Current car I'm doing: 2000 Honda Insight
    System: Dayton 3-way front end, Dayton sub, Zapco amps (and for now, a Kenwood headunit)
    Goals: Enjoyable daily driver is most important, but maybe compete once in a while in SQ or SPL competition (very interested in "Physchlone" DBDrags class, but have not participated yet)

Build log and many pics to come.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Almost built up my DIYMA profile, then saw this was the new place to be... so...

Welcome to the best mobile audio forum on the interweb!

What Dayton speakers and sub are you using?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Re: Almost built up my DIYMA profile, then saw this was the new place to be... so...

Components is as follows:
    Tweets: Dayton Audio AN25F-4 1" Silk Dome (sail panels)
    Mids: Dayton Audio RS100P-4 4" Paper (temporary cans on dash)
    Midbass: Dayton Audio RS180P-4 7" Paper (doors)
    Subwoofer: Dayton Audio RS390 15" HF Subwoofer (4.5 cubes sealed in hatch) ... minus that I fried it testing the limits yesterday. Ordered an Ultimax 15" to test, will go back to another HF if it does not satisfy the SQ side of things and accept the power limits.
    Front end amp: Zapco ST-6X DSP
    Sub amp: Zapco ST-1650XT II (4 ohm, so ~750w rms)

I really enjoy the SQ side more, but really pushed the sub. It sounded fine and was amazingly loud, but suddenly, high notes were absent, then a nasty rattle on low notes shortly after. Sub still works fine at low volume, but even in SQ mode, it quickly goes to a nasty rattle. When I pulled the sub, it was a smoke show inside. Live and learn.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Welcome to the funny farm. And you gotta be careful with those Dayton Reference subs because of how clean they sound. They lean about as hard as you can lean on the SQ side of the scale.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

don't feel bad, smoked a couple of dayton 15's myself...