Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Camry.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Corolla

2020 Camry.

This is my build log for a system install on the 2020 Camry that I'm going to buy when we return from our January to March escape from winter trip to warmer climes. This project will probably take a long time. So far I've chosen the Car PC system that I will install instead of an aftermarket head unit, (Khadas) the sub woofer, (Scanspeak) mid basses, (Scanspeak) tweeters (Wavecor) and DSP (MiniDSP C-DSP 8X12 DL). Not sure which amplifiers yet. A friend has a 2019 Camry and the interiors of the 2019 and 2020 are similar enough that I was able to plan a good part of the install by using his car as a template. This morning I laid up the pods for the Wavecor TW030WA04 no flange tweeters I will be using, the pods are fibreglass and I used a bit of expanded metal to make grills for them. I'm mostly happy with how things turned out. I was going to paint the pods basic black but instead I shot them with a layer of grey primer, then flat black with black texture for the top coat...not sure I'm sold on the texture and I'll probably put a coat of grey over it to better match the interior of the car I'm buying. The pods look a lot better in person than in the photos' and I'm going to lay up a trim ring to cover the edges and fare it into the mounting position.

Sorry for the hinky quality of the photos but I had a hard time getting my tablet camera to focus on the pods.

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/h...ers/tw030wa04/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tweeter.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	7159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tweeter2.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	7160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-toyota-camry-interior-colors.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	7161  
    Last edited by Donanon; 10-16-2019 at 01:53 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: 2020 Camry.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the carPC works out for you

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing how the carPC works out for you
    Yeah, I'm hoping for a no hassle set up with the Khadas VIM3L, this is my first foray into car PC's so it'll be learning curve...but that's a good part of the fun IMO. Last night I found an FM radio module on the NET that I think might work with the Khadas as well. I'm not really into listening to the radio all that much but the wife likes to keep up with the news and there will be room on the face of the SBC enclosure for the FM module so why not?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Corolla

I was watching a movie and happened to look at my tweeter pods sitting on the coffee table and I realized that I really don't like the way they look, so I'm going to redo them with a smaller diameter face plate and satin black paint. Photos to follow.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Corolla

I just ordered the drivers for my install. Not going ape but using what I consider to be quality speakers that perform above their price point...especially the ones I got on sale.

Subwoofer is the Scan-Speak 30W/4558T0. I used this sub before and IMO it punches above it's weight.

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/h...rs/30w4558t00/

Mid-Bass is the Scan-Speak 18W/4434G00. I've heard these a couple of times and I like them a lot.

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/h...er-18w4434g00/

Mid-Range is the Wavecor FR090WA02 fullrange. I have not heard this particular driver but I have heard a Wavecor fullrange and it had excellent build quality, was very detailed, smooth and musical...and I got this driver for $36.60CDN. each which is an excellent price for this kind of quality.

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/h...range-speaker/

Tweeter is the Wavecor TW022WA04 which is in the same family as the TW030WA04 I had originally planned to use but I've binned the no flange TW030WA04 in favor of the '22 with it's 65MM face plate which will make installing them in pillars less of a hassle. I got these tweeters for $35.50CDN. each which again is a great price for this level of quality.

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/h...ymium-tweeter/

Looks like my Car PC will be arriving in early November and the speakers should be here about that time as well and I'm really stoked to get my new car and get to work.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Did a bit of work on the enclosure for the CarPC I'll be using. I cut a block of blue foam for a duffer, wrapped it in packing tape and laid up a few layers of 204gsm (6 ounce) 'glass over it with a carbon uni grounding strip (just in case I need it) laid under the 'glass in a trench I sanded into the block. It turned out usable, I was going to fab a trim bracket to fare it into the dash but I think I'll use one I have from an earlier install as it fits quite nicely on the front of the enclosure. When I get the LCD display I will fit it to the front of the enclosure and make it pretty.

Name:	20191028_163809.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	7367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_155856.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	7366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_143339.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	7365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191029_194000.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	7368  

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Did a WEB crawl today for amplifiers and having had success with JL Audio in the past I'm going to order two JL XD400/4v2 for tne front stage which will give me 75 watts each for mids. and tweets with 200 watts in bridged mode each for the mid-basses. Not sure about power for the sub yet but thinking about Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X2...both available at Crutchfield which is my preferred vendor for amps. and such.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Did a cheezy mock up of the touch display installed on the front of the SBC enclosure, for the real thing I'll fab an angled mount from carbon cloth. The display will be angled a few degrees up and to the left for better driver access. Beside the display (on the right) will be a rotary encoder for hardware volume control, the on/off button and the reset button. There will also be a USB port on right for access to the SSD, the SSD will ride on the back of the SBC inside the enclosure.

Going to treat the outer surfaces of the enclosure and make them smooth and pretty as they are a bit hinky, not that anyone will be seeing it but I will know.

Edit: What I forgot to mention in this post is that the angled front of the enclosure will be the full width and height of the front. I only had a small piece of balsa wood at hand to demonstrate the idea so the photos reflect that.

Name:	SBC MU2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	7375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBC MOCK UP.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	7374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBC MU3.jpg 
Views:	246 
ID:	7376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBCMU6.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	7377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBCMU7 (2).jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	7378  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBCMU8.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	7379  
    Last edited by Donanon; 10-31-2019 at 07:19 PM.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Re-did the enclosure front with upward and lefward facing angles and rounded edges. This is how the finished piece will look and I'll start on the usable enclosure tonight using this sample as a reference.

Name:	ENCL2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	7511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ENCL3.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	7512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ENCL4.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	7513  

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Corolla

A few photos of how the business end of the finished enclosure will look. I'm going to use some carbon cloth to lay up a pair of mounting brackets that will screw to the sides of the enclosure and the car dash head unit install slots...standard after market install accessories. And I changed my mind on the CarPC, I cancelled the VIM3L and ordered the VIM3 basic which has a more powerful processor and a few other improvements over the '3L.

Name:	20191103_213911.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	7530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191103_213853.jpg 
Views:	246 
ID:	7531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191103_213827.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	7532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191103_213820.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	7533