Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My take on "rear fill"

1. Back To Top    #31
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Re: My take on "rear fill"

Another question on this subject: Is it better to have a wider rear fill, or further back? I basically have the two options: Put them about 2 feet behind me, very wide apart, or at the end of the hatch (maybe 5 feet), but puts them quite a bit closer together.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    Lexus LX 470 (Land Cruiser)

NoDestiny in my SUV (Lexus version of the Land Cruiser), I am using a JBL MS8 in Logic7 processor. I don’t know if you would classify my system as a 5.1 or 7.2 system but, I split the 2 rear channels of my MS-8 to feed 4 different amplifier channels.

Which in turn feeds 6.5” separates in the rear doors and 4” separates mounted on pods behind the 3rd row seats. Since they are different amplifier channels, I can easily adjust their output.

In my opinion with a proper processor, the rear door speakers help a lot more as long as you can mount the tweeter high in the door. The rear door speakers help with my stage width and 3rd row speakers just add a little more ambiance.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Spread em Wide ! NoDestiny, you bandpassing/attenuating/playing what is left after whatever is being played (majority of signals) have been removed ?

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Sounds like high and wide is the right way to go, then? I'll have to play around with my car's options and see what I can come up with, then! Thanks.

I'm planning a dedicated MiniDSP 2x4 w/ the rear fill plugin for this setup.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Quote Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
    Sounds like high and wide is the right way to go, then? I'll have to play around with my car's options and see what I can come up with, then! Thanks.

I'm planning a dedicated MiniDSP 2x4 w/ the rear fill plugin for this setup.
    I was taught high/wide is ideal but I have seen others have success in other locations as well and how far back shouldn't matter imo as your goal is to delay the rears 20-21 milliseconds from the front stage so the only thing distance should change is the amount of delay you will need to reach the goal.
    Build Thread

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...Silverdo-build

https://www.instagram.com/mrmarvsplace/

Post count on a forum does NOT denote ones level of knowledge, skill nor experience..

6. Back To Top    #36

Tradition rear fill logic: Aim forward for depth and aim across for extra width. Both should help with sense of space/room.

the further back your rear fill is, less delay you need.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
    One question I have is: What is the optimal placement and aiming direction for rear fill in a hatchback? I'm making my trunk from scratch, so I have a lot of options. For instance: Rear fire VS forward firing VS upward firing? As far back in the trunk as possible VS closer to the seating position? My assumption is I'd want them as far back as possible and rear or up firing, but figured I'd ask.
    I have a wagon, so not quite the same, but similar in that it is open. I initially had rear fill mounted in the rear doors in the OEM locations, bit of a waste of time there to be honest, because the speakers were so close to the drivers seat I had to turn them down so much that it was pointless. After a while I decided to try on the little plastic areas that are to the side of the cargo cover, that moved the speakers up closer to ear height and also moved them back about 3-4' in distance. Having them up and further back made a huge difference for me, still took a while to dial things in as I have found depending on what I am listening to some things have way more of an effect with rear fill than others. But, definitely as far back as you can go. I even debated at one point putting them in the D-pillars at the side of the trunk opening.

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    i can say it's tough to get rear-fill correct.

not enough delay? pulls back.
    too much output? pulls back.
    too much delay? unnatural echos.
    not enough output? no effect.
    not centered correctly? steers staging cues left or right.
    Absolutely agree with this, it takes a LOT of experimentation and trial and error to get it just right. At the moment I think my output is not quite enough, so need to tweak it some. I also had a difficult time with the stage pulling to the right at one point, took me the longest time to figure out that it was the left rear speaker being too loud and causing the stage to pull right. I kept checking speakers on the right and wondering why nothing made a difference.

Good luck with it though, I really enjoy the effect it gives. In my particular vehicle it seems to add a huge amount of stage width.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix