Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Geolomon, first I love overkill and coming up with cool shit, which this is. However, damn if this isn’t making a fairly simple connection really complicated for not much gain that I see. But people say that about new stuff all the time so you do you!
    The same could be said about ALL the cool stuff in car audio!

It is, sure. But when I was describing my plans for an install where I could swap out my sub box, both for playing with other subs and for leaving it out to use my hatch for annual camping trip and road trips and other stuff...

Someone linked a super expensive product at me, someone already makes a quick magnetic release - it exists today, made for car audio, and not perfect. Four magnets, two flat panels that could easily attract anything metal (including a car... usually those are metal, right?) and started giving me nightmares about "what if you took the sub box out, the magnets attracted metal - and you powered your car (and system) on and dead short your amp"?

I saw a really expensive, potentially risky connector that didn't need to be that expensive (I think) or that risky. I wouldn't want to drive around with the sub box out and that rolling around the trunk. So my stupid brain starts thinking of a redesign.

But you also busted me - my first college major was mechanical drafting ,and my current career is IT project implementations, and obviously I'm a lifelong car audio engineering geek...
    ...so how do you expect me to resist an excuse to finally learn 3D CAD software when you dangle a car audio related carrot on a stick in front of me?
    Come on. Not possible.

2. Back To Top    #42

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    But you also busted me - my first college major was mechanical drafting ,and my current career is IT project implementations, and obviously I'm a lifelong car audio engineering geek...
    ...so how do you expect me to resist an excuse to finally learn 3D CAD software when you dangle a car audio related carrot on a stick in front of me?
    Come on. Not possible.
    I’ve done too many projects so I could learn so I don’t blame you there. For what you describe, and for my commercial subs, I use the Speakon connectors, which can handle up to 10 gauge speaker wire. You could recess it and it wouldn’t stick out. They also make 90-degree versions. Also made of metal or plastic.

But hey, you do you. Looks like you’re learning it quite well and have a really good reason to get a 3d printer now. Should we talk about projects I’ve done just to buy tools? No, this is your thread. Lol!

3. Back To Top    #43

It's not my thread, but I would bet Big Al is probably in the same boat!

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I've bought tools for projects that never got started...brand new tools, never been used

5. Back To Top    #45

When I received my printer, it actually sat in the box for a loooong time!!!

6. Back To Top    #46

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200524_014201.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	11345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200524_081254.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	11346
    This piece took like 31 hours to print. At first I was just going to tap the screw holes or just use some drywall screws!! Then decided to modify it to insert some steel nuts. There're some rectangular support pieces to dig out and can push the nuts in from the side. Also just modified the phone/stylus bracket yesterday and reprinting it now. This will take 19 hours lol.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Don't you hate when you think about stuff like that after the fact?

8. Back To Top    #48

Have you sliced the connector file to check for print time?

Looks quite complex to 3D print from looking at the pics eg the cable entry.

Happy to slice it if you send me the STL files.

I have an Anet A6 - cheap but good enough for a hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I just bought a couple of small wire shelving units that I plan to use as a base for a new computer desk.

Name:	shelf.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	11377

Unfortunately, the support poles on this unit are 3/4" as opposed to the standard 1" that is used in larger units, and I couldn't find any top flanges to attach the top. I sketched this up in Fusion 360. It's got a thicker sidewall than the regular split sleeves, and I added a couple of concentric cutouts to hold wire ties in place.

Name:	Wire Shelving Flange v1.png 
Views:	260 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	11373

I sliced it in PrusaSlicer, but it went overboard with the supports

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	11374

After cleaning it up, it fit the pole end very nicely

Name:	half.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	11375

The inside ridge and a couple of wire ties hold it in place

Name:	done.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	11376

10. Back To Top    #50

Hey that's nice! And a neat idea with zip ties too!