Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

You, sir, have won the internet for today!!! That is super awesome! I will take one in black lettering with a red surround!!!!!!!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Sorry, I don't have red...yet...

Edit: I just realized it looks like a big Oreo

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

You know the old saying, “Never 3D print when you’re hungry!”
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

3D printing is amazing. I've done a few things for my own car, such as fuseholders, mounts, etc. Need to model better so I don't have to fiberglass things any more!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

I've always thought these were cool, I just can't make myself spend the money on one, as I think it'll end up sitting in a corner for years when I run out of 'neat' things to print and haven't done anything practical with it.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Late to the CAJ party customtronic's Avatar
    Vehicle
    2007 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Cool looking stuff! I've had a few things made by a friend of mine....a few sets of MR pods and a trim ring for a headunit. I'd love to have one but I think I'll just keep sending money to my friend and give him the business.

7. Back To Top    #17

Sneak peek of a little project - thanks big Al for the 3D logo!

This isn't really final yet - I have a bunch of internal stuff that I need to do, haven't added where the wiring comes out or the strain relief that I want to do, but this is pretty close.
    Any thoughts on cosmetics? And ignore the color, because this is for 3D printing - I'm thinking ABS, so black is probably best.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 10.13.36 PM.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	474.0 KB 
ID:	11160
    Actually - anyone even know (or guess) what this is?
    Hint... those major grid lines are 1" and the minor grid lines are 1/8"....

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
    3D printing is amazing. I've done a few things for my own car, such as fuseholders, mounts, etc. Need to model better so I don't have to fiberglass things any more!
    This is what I'm thinking. I'd love to be able to print things like sail panels for tweeters, door speaker adapters...
    But some of that would more or less need a handheld 3D scanner, because I'd want my starting point to be an accurate digital image of the original part.
    So before I even buy a printer (decided I want one that can do ABS and possibly dual-filament) I want to see if there's any affordable options for that also.

For now, it's fun seeing how far CAD software has come. My first college major (that I switched out of) was mechanical drafting, and although they did have a CAD class this was cough1994cough and the college also had several years old CAD software, so it really wasn't easy to say the least... I'm blown away at being able to easily do 3D renderings using web-based software on nothing more powerful than a Chromebook - awesome.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Are you looking at just dual filament, or dual extruders? If it's dual filament thru one extruder, the printing has to pause while it purges one color and starts extruding the next. It could be really wasteful.

10. Back To Top    #20

Just saw this nice thread!! I'm halfway thru printing a phone/stylus/mouse pad bracket/set for an ikea armchair. The 3rd piece in this set will about take 2 days to print lol. Updated it yesterday and will have to reprint a new one starting this friday evening. The printer is of course loud... don't want to annoy the boss WFH nearby the printer. I use a Robo R2.