Thread: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

1. Back To Top    #121
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

Isn't Shapeways a strip club?

One thing you'll have to keep in mind is that ABS has been known to shrink a certain percentage, depending on the design. You'll need to do your research

2. Back To Top    #122

Hopefully not too much - I'd only be doing sealed or Variovent anyway. My main concern would be that I was thinking of doing a tongue-in-groove sort of joint between each section, and I'd have to find some sort of adhesive to bond them permanently, whatever material I end up with.

3. Back To Top    #123

Anyone here done any enclosures?
    I'm guessing you already subscribe to the Hexibase YouTube channel but if not - check it out.
    Equal parts audio engineering and 3D printing.

Anyone?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #124

Has anyone tried to thermo-form a 3D printed object, after printing it?
    And I'm not talking about anything fancy - just heating it up with a heat gun and bending/tweaking something that you printed.

Here's my application:
    I just picked up two of those Volvo/Dynaudio domes to experiment with.
    (The black rings are just screwed on from behind, for shipping - they come off)

And previously, I bought a set of Mirage onmidirectional speakers for my home - very similar to these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	525x525px-LL-da08f262_vbattach7021.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	14888
    Those speakers use normal, small speaker drivers, bounced off reflectors, so the sound is radiated in a 360 degree dispersion (well - they tilted the mid at a 15 degree angle, too). And as a result, you can locate these speakers near - and on - walls.
    I was going to play with how well these would work below the corners of an angled windshield - not exactly like "a wall".

My thought was to do some measuring of the ratio of that Mirage dome tweeter diameter/radius vs the reflector diameter/radius, and extrapolate that into 3D printing a larger version of that for the Dynaudio domes.

And then I was thinking I could do additional modifications, maybe bending the back/side edge of that reflector (maybe not) by using heat to bend it after the fact.
    Should I maybe keep it thin to allow for that?

Since this is just an experiment, how thick do you think I should print these dishes, so they'd be good reflectors but still thin enough to heat form?
    Last edited by geolemon; 12-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.

5. Back To Top    #125

6. Back To Top    #126
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Any chance one of you with a 3D printer could print something for me? It's a small bracket, I'd happily pay. Looking to get this printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3983396

Thanks.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #127
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I could try it as soon as I get my space rearranged...maybe next week sometime?

8. Back To Top    #128
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Works for me, it's no rush. Thank you.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #129

So...
    To really complete my dream of using a 3D printer for car audio fabrication - I really REALLY want to be able to scan parts, and modify them in digital space, or remove panels and scan surfaces and make parts that mate up tight.

I bought an Xbox Kinect V2 (the one for the Xbox 360 - supposed to be "the good one"), but I've failed to get it to work with my fairly high-powered laptop, my desktop that the 3D printer is hovering above, and I've even bought a new laptop (which I'll promptly return) that I also can't get it to work with. I should have wondered when I saw there was a "configuration verifier tool"... and discovered that Microsoft discontinued support years ago, closed the forums... and I couldn't have struggled more or tried more to get it working. Time to throw in the towel.

So I'm going to explore "photogammetry" - has anyone here tried it?
    Seems theoretically could be easier - take lots of photos all around the object, then use one of these software options:
    https://all3dp.com/1/best-photogrammetry-software/

Anyone tried any of these, or any other 3D scanning options?

10. Back To Top    #130

I'm giving 3DF Zephyr a shot now.

First attempt -
    Took photos of a Hot Wheels car on my counter... 50 pics. Not great lighting. I used my flash on the drivers side of the car, none on the passenger side.

Imported them into 3DF Zephyr and it rejected all but 14 of them - but still created a 'not awful' 3D image, and that software was pretty simple.

I just downloaded a free photo optimizer ("one click" with a bulk import option) to see if I can use something like that as a step to help.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk