Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

1. Back To Top    #91

Re: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Is that maybe also a function of thickness? If your walls were twice as thick maybe that helps avoid this?

That being said, this is a thermoplastic, and I know from a little vacuum forming experience that might just buy a little more time (equivalent to oven time)?

Is that a rating on these filaments?

I'm thinking of making some pods like these using 3D printing, and pretty much solid - but I did possibly want a tweeter in there like this (with a wider reflector above it actually)
    I wouldn't want them melting, of course, the suspension height is important.
    Maybe using more than one leg is wise...?
    But is it an actual solution...?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Abs or PETG is far more heat stable than pla... i was pre warned that pla doesn’t like heat and melts easily in warm car temps, PETG is also easier to print without an enclosure and temperature control also... it prints about 50-60 degrees warmer than pla and the bed heated to 70 degrees also and that stuff sticks like crazy

2. Back To Top    #92

Alright - I took the plunge. I found a 3D printer that's not only dual-filament to do two colors in the print, but can blend the colors to create gradients across a whole single-color print:
    https://www.geeetech.com/geeetech-a2...cd-p-1122.html

I saw some videos - liked that in many ways it's an Ender 3 clone so there's some parts sharing - helped by the fact that the software is open-source and there's a pretty moderately active community. Looked pretty easy for a patient, mechanically and technically competent newbie to get rolling with. Ordered the glass "superbase" and self-leveling options too.

I had dumped $400 into a virtual Amazon card, from my employer's Kudos points (rewards we earn) planning to buy it on Amazon, but then that one wasn't on sale, and I couldn't buy the options. Oh well. I use Amazon all the time, so not like that was a real waste. Ended up buying it direct, right from that link up there.

So this manufacturer is of course Chinese, but says they have a US Warehouse in California. Just pulled the trigger, so we'll see what the target delivery date is when I get the "shipped" Email. Rush shipping was only $3 more than the standard shipping so I chose that - for the cost difference I can't imagine it's going to show up overnight or something. I would be happy if it showed up in a week or two.

3. Back To Top    #93

^yaaay!!!

(We also need to get a few more people into this 3d print stuff. It's fun.)

4. Back To Top    #94

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25727DEB-662F-4596-B890-13337A0F8402.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	12281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7A2C2A2-8BB2-4B8F-9A85-DFFE2936F9AD.jpeg 
Views:	194 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	12282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53E596CE-500E-411D-BB3A-08716D022F07.jpeg 
Views:	184 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	12283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D82F2700-6F52-429D-8EE1-DBA16A49115E.jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	12284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F409CD52-812E-4A8F-8D5E-66EA3AD02A91.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	12285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E4AE692-41A7-4B2F-ABDB-79E3E9BB8494.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	12286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C6A5405-5ED2-4F5A-A519-E64AA4332A89.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	12287

well this is effectively what i wanted to 3d print, but i decided perspex was a better way to go, i have a decent router table and figured i could put it to good use... (ignore the finger prints in the paint... rushing! )

5. Back To Top    #95

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    well this is effectively what i wanted to 3d print, but i decided perspex was a better way to go, i have a decent router table and figured i could put it to good use... (ignore the finger prints in the paint... rushing! )
    Oh yeah I think you did it right here. That glossy finish and transparency for the LEDs - I'd question whether 3D printed would come out that nice. Plus that's a big panel. And with the router, I'm betting from that precise fit that you used a router bearing kit to trace directly against the piece...
    ...pseudo-emulating that sort of precision is why I'm also really interested in a 3D scanner. Seems I can pick up a Kinect cheap and there's some open source code to make it scan.

I'm puzzled by one thing here -
    On your template panels, it looked on my phone like mini fireworks went off in spots. What are those marks from?

6. Back To Top    #96

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Oh yeah I think you did it right here. That glossy finish and transparency for the LEDs - I'd question whether 3D printed would come out that nice. Plus that's a big panel. And with the router, I'm betting from that precise fit that you used a router bearing kit to trace directly against the piece...
    ...pseudo-emulating that sort of precision is why I'm also really interested in a 3D scanner. Seems I can pick up a Kinect cheap and there's some open source code to make it scan.

I'm puzzled by one thing here -
    On your template panels, it looked on my phone like mini fireworks went off in spots. What are those marks from?

The little fireworks are where the laser stops and starts maybe... I found a friend at work who has a second business... I drew a picture and he brought me two complete cutouts in 4 and 6mm

I did try printing the fascia on the printer but had to set it at just off vertical to get it all in... I forgot to print a raft and it fell over 18hrs in and made me a lovely Afro lol

I actually drilled a set of 4mm holes in the mdf with a pillar drill to align the mdf and two layers of 6mm Perspex with the depth set to 2mm from the bottom and once I’d got one point drilled I stuffed a 4mm drill in the holes, I then added four more 4mm holes in the corners for m2.5 brass inserts , then drew around the inside and rough cut both out, then use a flush trim bit to cut the layers perfect. The two original holes were then used for some 4mm Perspex dowels in the finished piece that I could acetone in if needs be.

i then copied it into a piece of 12mm birch to make a back

then I cut the bevels and the recess in the second layer and a tiny amount into the first layer

it all bolts together with the two dowels to make it perfectly aligned and then used m2.5x20 machine screws to clamp it all together... as proof of concept it worked well and looked cool but needed further tweaking
    Last edited by dumdum; 07-03-2020 at 11:39 AM.

7. Back To Top    #97

When we run out of energy and grip while upside down under the bathroom sink trying to get the faucet out or back in, just print a socket tool...

Name:	Delta Faucet Socket Tool CAD Pix-sm.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	12293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delta Faucet Socket Tool Pix-sm.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	12292

8. Back To Top    #98
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    When we run out of energy and grip while upside down under the bathroom sink trying to get the faucet out or back in, just print a socket tool...

Name:	Delta Faucet Socket Tool CAD Pix-sm.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	12293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delta Faucet Socket Tool Pix-sm.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	12292
    Market this on Facebook and sell the shit out of it!!! I'd buy one.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

9. Back To Top    #99

oh. There's several out there already (costs more than a homemade one)

10. Back To Top    #100

[Deleted - forgot the pic apparently. New post below.]
    Last edited by geolemon; 07-12-2020 at 11:08 AM.