Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

I'm totally interested in this

2. Back To Top    #132

Did some playing yesterday, trying to get a Hot Wheels Trans Am scanned.

First set of pics - phone camera, overhead lights on kitchen island, and phone flash on -
    The software rejected a bunch of my 50 photos, so it worked, but the end product was pretty rough.

Second attempt - I downloaded photo editing software that worked in bulk (more like "in sequence"), cropped all the pics real tight to the car and clicked "auto optimize" for each...
    Actually got worse results. Rejected more pics. I think I exacerbated any blurryness by zooming in.

Third attempt - new pics, camera on "manual mode" (as a video advised) and I only took 25 pics. Same setup - kitchen island, overhead light, phone flash.
    Actually got worse results again. I think I need to use the manual camera controls - but I'm no photographer.

Fourth attempt - Took a quick 25 second video around the car, as I saw the software had a "import video" feature. I felt like I rushed it, but what the heck.
    Definitely didn't get good results - all that does is take frames every "x" seconds (you specify), rather than taking the best/clearest frames.

Fifth attempt - tried to take a longer, slower, steadier video - but failed. I am going to pick up a handheld phone gimbal I think (and go back to photos) - focus seems to be the key, whether photo or video, so I think that will help.

My first run was the best and proved two things:
    1) it works!
    2) it's super dependant on the quality of your pics.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #133

So all the above, by the way, was me jumping in and not even doing a tutorial... And now I see there's no excuse, these are all totally short:

General overview / basic use / demo: (worth watching for anyone curious)
    https://youtu.be/17UTelgZqBg

And basically the "how to take pictures for this, you dummy":
    https://youtu.be/E06kgYBftak

So...
    I'll be trying again after doing the steps differently - like they say I actually SHOULD do them

4. Back To Top    #134

You know its gonna be difficult to put together when they include a snack. I see those Haribo gummies there.

5. Back To Top    #135

Some progress after taking pictures like they said and actually following the workflow like they suggest.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Jaus1echeGf1Tdv8

It still discarded most of my photos from this set, so I think I need to try the photo calibration so it doesn't hate my phone pics.

6. Back To Top    #136
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Now that's pretty slick! Is there any way to add scale/size information?

7. Back To Top    #137

Once I un-fudge my non-existent photography skills and actually get a good looking model, that's next, for sure!

Looks like the best way to do that is just relative measurements. That could be anything from putting reference dots on the object to scanning a ruler next to the object, to just measuring any old thing on the scanned object, then scaling it up in the 3D space until those same points have the same measurement as reality.

That to me is critical, though - I want to scan my inner door surface(s) and make enclosures that hug up tight behind them, for midbass. Scale has to be perfect.

I also want to scan my naked A pillars and sail panels and print my own lower portion to hold my widebands and BG Neo3s.

...for that, I already did buy some junkyard A pillar panels if I have to do those the old school way, but I just think it would be cool to print those.

8. Back To Top    #138
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

You may have to mount the camera stationary, and rotate the subject on a lazy susan

9. Back To Top    #139

That might work for sure, but I don't really care about this toy car - ultimately I need to shoot/scan my door panels and A-pillars, so I have to figure out how to make my caveman-holding-a-camera technique work

10. Back To Top    #140
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I just meant to get the technique down. You might have to get a tripod setup and move the camera around a single axis...and then do it over on several planes.