Thread: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

1. Back To Top    #141
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Jumping on the 3D printer bandwagon

need to borrow Erin's klippel device and mount camera instead of mic

2. Back To Top    #142

I completed a camera calibration with the 3DF Zephyr software (it just puts up a pattern on your screen and asks you to take "at least ten" pictures from different angles).

I then popped off my sail panel and shot a bunch of different angles... 38 pics.
    I did have a few LED flashlights lighting up from a few angles.

This time, I imported them - it used all 38 of my pictures! And - I didn't even use a tripod or anything. A few photos I had the corner of the phone touching the windshield or gauge hump for stability, but that's it!

Ultimately I am going to move that connector down but I can do that in 3D space I'm sure.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #143
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Damn, that's pretty slick. I wonder if it would do better if you taped over the whole area with painter's tape, and maybe put dots every inch or so for reference?

4. Back To Top    #144

I just spent some time trimming and slicing in Zephyr, it's doing a "textured mesh generation" now...
    It's definitely got the surfaces I need, so hopefully it'll be good - it's that "textured mesh" that I can export into some format that Fusion 360 or whatever can import.

5. Back To Top    #145

Since I'm hoping to print things for inside my car, maybe even A pillars -
    Alternative filaments need to be explored, since PLA will melt.

I came across this video - long but unbelievably worth a watch.
    https://youtu.be/vSwumoSlZTo

I ended up buying some ASA since it's easy to print like PLA, but then you can anneal it in the oven - and at that point your piece is relatively heat-proof!

So many other ones covered in here that are really interesting to ponder since I bought a dual-extruder printer...
    Could print both flexible and rigid plastic to make a hinge in a part, encapsulated in the rigid so it doesn't come out... Just gets the mind going.

It's really worth a watch. Didn't realize so many options were out there besides PLA, ABS, and PVA if you need dissolvable supports.