Thread: 2009 Pontiac G8 Upgrades

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

2009 Pontiac G8 Upgrades

So, about 10 years ago, some guys at one of our other stores built this car. It used to be on our website.
    He has been collecting product for an upgrade, and basically everyone told him to come see me for the build.

Untitled by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

(It's not a real GXP, apparently someone bumped into a parking block back when the car was new and he paid the difference to upgrade to the GXP bumper, and added the wheels later)

Equipment:

Arc Black 3 ways up front. (actually, he's adding the 4.5" to the existing 2 way set)
    Arc Black 2 ways in the rear doors
    1 Arc Audio KS300.4
    3 Arc Audio KS300.2
    1 Arc Audio PS8
    1 JL Audio 12w6v2 (existing)
    Alpine 8" nav HU. Can't remember if it's the 928 or the x008, it was already installed with the small screen to control the HVAC controls.

The layout:

Alpine HU to PS8 with PSC controller mounted next to the lighter at the base of the center stack.
    KS300.4 will run the front tweeters and 4.5" mids actively off the PS8.
    KS300.2 (1) will run the front 6.5" midbasses
    KS300.2 (2) will run the rear doors passively.
    KS300.2 (3) will run the sub. Probably 8 ohm bridges in the existing ported enclosure.

Since the PS8 only has 8 channels out, it will run everything except the sub, which will be run directly off the HU (which has T/A if needed)

So, what started most of this was that he saw a pic on the interwebz where someone had perforated the panel directly in front of the stock door location,
    wrapped it in grill cloth, and mounted a 4" behind it. That was our initial plan. This is what the stock panel looks like.

But then I mocked things up and realized it would fire basically right into the side of the dash. So, I pitched him on another idea...
    He said he wanted it to look stock. I told him "No problem, that's the plan."

I started by replacing the hacked up plastic speaker mount with a new one to put the 4.5" in the factory location. Worked perfectly, and the factory
    grill was a much better size to work with the 4.5.

Then I got to work on the 6.75"

I posted some of the finished pics in a fabrication group on FB and people were like "I don't see what you did." Then I posted the before pic and people got it.

He also didn't like the way the Arc Black tweeters mount with visible screws, so he had bought new door panels so we could do something about that.
    He bought them over a year ago, and never opened the box, just stuck them in the attic in his garage. This is what I started with:

They cleaned up pretty well...so I started by making new tweeter cups out of 3/4" acrylic.
    I'll post those up when they decide to load. sigh.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: 2009 Pontiac G8 Upgrades

I'm working on this car again. After barely getting to touch it in the past month, I'm getting there. It's been a lot of work, but I got sound the other day, and am in the process of trimming out the trunk. Pics to come soon.

This will also, likely be the last custom job I do for my current employer.

Jay