Nissan Cube - VW T4

Re: Nissan Cube SQ project with Focal Utopia M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200615_160820.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	553.8 KB 
ID:	11881

In other news... Hello 1995!

Back to the subject.. I recently sold my Helix P Six mk2 to a friend who just could NOT wait 2 days so I could get him a brand new one.. Gotta love impulse buyers

So I thought I might wait for the mk3, I've had the mk2 ever since it came out about 5 years ago. The mk3 is "supposedly" just around the corner, but from what I know of the specs it won't really make a huge difference in my spesific setup. I won't be running a center speaker, and all the channels will be used for a regular 3-way stereo component setup.

So the "budget friendly" alternative would be to get a new P Six to run components, and use my P Two to power the DVC Utopia subwoofer. The not very budget friendly at all alternative would be to get a DSP Ultra, two more P Two amps (using all three to power components) and a P One to power the subwoofer. But that is like 4x the expense.

2. Back To Top    #42
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Name:	20200420_163508.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	442.9 KB 
ID:	12140

Fun in the sun! It's been crazy hot here by Norwegian standards (meaning about 85 degrees, haha ), compared to the regular summer temp of maybe 60 or so. Regassed the A/C, so now the Cube is finally cool?

3. Back To Top    #43
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Looks like I'll finally have some free time to work on the install in the near future. Not in the ideal way, but the building where I rent space for my business has just been sold to new owners, meaning that I have to clear out and find a new location asap. However, the two best locations I found are not ready yet, will be at least a month before they are ready to move into. So between the time I have to be out (about a week from now) and until then I have some free time coming up. Maybe not the worst thing since I haven't really taken any extented period of time off since I started my business 9 years ago.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Name:	20200819_183258.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	13447

Out on the hunt for new locations to set up my business.. Disregard anything from the previous post about free time, that didn't happen at all

I have a signs and graphics business, started it in my basement about 10 years ago. Worked from there the first 2 years, before moving to a location in an industrial estate with a proper workshop. This was recently sold to a local company that just got a government deal to produce hospital grade face masks for the next two years (to supply the local hospitals), so I had to move out on short notice. And moving back into the basement isn't what it once was

So I'm faced with two options now. Either getting a new location and start over, or join up with one of my local suppliers as an employee (and part owner). Have some big decisions to make, and this build gets pushed back once again. But even so, it's a good feeling just having to look forward to it.

5. Back To Top    #45

Hello there my old Helix friend

Thought I'd come over here for a change of scenery and see that a lot of the same people are on all the car audio forums, to be expected really.

Your car still looks great. I think I prefer the 3 spoke wheels on the car - didn't think I would but the old ones look kind of 'childish' in comparison. Still good, just maybe not as good as the 3 spokes.

Hope life is treating you well. I think I'd go work with your old supplier, at least until things ease in the world and you can find the time/money/desire to go alone again.
    Unless money isn't a problem, in which case enjoy yourself for a while and then get set up.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Hi Twonks, nice seeing you here as well Yes, much of the same people, a lot of new ones - and a classic forum interface, all good things!

The OZ Racing Cygnus wheels (3-spoke) came up for sale on a local(ish) FB page, in the pretty uncommon 4x114.3 PCD the Cube has, so I snapped them up in a heartbeat. The MOMO wheels I had on before I got hold of in near mint condition, for about £80 for the set So was worth a try. But liking the OZ wheels now that they are on the car. Sold my old Work wheels for about £1000, now they're on a Lexus LS400.. Probably a better fit for that car.

I've been looking at several new locations, but so far they're either too small or way too expensive. And most of them are not ready for takeover for weeks or even months. So for now it's a constant scramble to find suitable locations for each and every project. All while the work is piling up, so need to find a solution soon. Working for/with my supplier is probably a win/win situation, at least for now. They need a designer, and I need a location to keep the business and momentum going. Having access to (and learning to use) CNC routers, laser cutters and large format printers would also be fun and beneficial.

So we'll see!

Back to the car, I've been waiting for the Helix P Six DSP mk3 for the longest time now, I know it was next on the release list after the DSP Ultra, and that has been out for about a year soon? So I phoned up the distributor today, and he quickly sent an email to Audiotec Fischer while we were on the phone. Didn't take many minutes to get a reply And without disclosing anything about presumed release, I decided to just get another mk2 for the time being. So sometime next week I will have at least all the components for a full system. Need to get that going if a daily commute is part of the next chapter of my career

7. Back To Top    #47
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Name:	119708311_690551641815603_9086582392 659411701_n.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	13748

Not the worst shipment to collect

8. Back To Top    #48
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Started messing about with a little DIY project this weekend, I want to make a nice looking distribution block/fuse holder for my little setup (just two amps, one of them with integrated DSP).

I started out with this distribution block, it does all it needs to do, but it doesn't look anything special.

Name:	4-FB420-4.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	14295
    But instead of having bus bars custom made, I thought I might use the parts from this, and make a nicer looking base/lid.

It was not meant to be disassembled though, but after a bit of investigating (with a grinder), I found screws under the sealed plastic lids.

Name:	20201024_160708.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	14296

So it was doable to remove the metal components:

Name:	20201024_160652.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	14297

Name:	20201024_160724.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	14298

Having started out with car audio in the 90s, when fuse blocks were made of thick, polished acrylic and was meant to be a nice thing to look at, this cheap and flimsy black plastic won't do

But the metal parts are nice, also liking the LED indicators on the fuse holders:

Name:	20201024_160739.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	14299

I also bought a bunch of these single fuse holders a while back, they were like $2 each, and also good for taking apart to use the individual components:

Name:	20201024_160937.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	14300

Name:	20201024_161032.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	14301

Name:	20201024_161105.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	14302

My plan is to make a new base from acrylic, I have a few sheets of half inch acrylic. Well, over 60ft2 at least..

My inspiration is this, but I don't need nearly as many outputs. Think it looks amazing though, I'm sure mine will look crap compared to this

Name:	eac8bdf46d4b600c33bfb71a699c16dc.jpg 
Views:	3385 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	14303

9. Back To Top    #49
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Name:	123211220_10159339604800260_4124462656460833523_o.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	14385

Have a $6k camera on loan for the weekend, doing a photoshoot tomorrow for a customer. Had to try it out on the car first

Also, look at the cable drums in the back!

10. Back To Top    #50
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Name:	20201117_144221.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	14633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_151449.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	14632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_153124.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	14631

A little side project, I'm making a small custom fit enclosure for a 8" Ground Zero subwoofer, for the under-floor section of a Honda Accord wagon. Also a good way to try out the CNC router over at a business parter. Made from 3/4" baltic birch plywood. Luckily Norway isn't too far from the Baltic region, so it doesn't have to be shipped halfway across the world

Also I ordered a second Utopia 10" subwoofer for my own project.