Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan Cube SQ project with Focal Utopia M

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Nissan Cube SQ project with Focal Utopia M

Jumping right in as a new forum member here.

This will be a build log on my SQ build in a Nissan Cube. I've had this car for a couple of years now. First system was built more or less as a timed challenge in about 10 days, to compete in EMMA SQ. Had nothing installed in the car then, but when it was two weeks until the finals we decided to go for it. Went well, lacked a bit on install points but got a pretty decent sound score regardsless of class. Drove around with that setup for much longer than intended, but now is time to do it properly. Meaning spending a bit more than 3 hours to make 2x tweeter/midrange pods the night before heading off to finals

Don't know if I will compete with this setup, it's more for personal satisfaction.

Anyway, on to the kit list.

Alpine Halo9 headunit
    Apple TV for media streaming
    (possibly some sort of hires DAP for "critical" listening/playback)

Helix Director to control levels/settings/inputs

Helix P Six DSP amplifier to power components up front
    Helix M One monoblocks (x3) to power subwoofers

Focal Utopia TBM tweeter
    Focal Utopia 3,5WM midrange
    Focal Utiopia 6WM midbass

Helix Q10W subwoofers (x3)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Re: Nissan Cube SQ project with Focal Utopia M

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Welcome Haakono,

I believe your system will be "Quite well done and worth listening to)!
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Welcome Haakono! I'm so glad you're here. We are lucky to have you.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Saweet! Welcome aboard...I can't wait to see where this build goes.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Thank you for the warm welcome guys!

Here are a few pics of the first setup that is now taken out of the car.

First setup:

And a quick walkaround of how the car was looking back then (this was in fall of 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqQ72-VimC0

Also a little clip of how it looks now, spent the summer wrapping it in pearl orange (Lamborghini color)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23CD0Cy1rs

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I like that color. I used to have a Honda Element, so I know how fun small econo-boxes can be.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Nice, a friend of mine bought one of those new. It was the only "box car" that was available over here in Norway. But still not officially - that car was imported from the US by a company that specialized in that field.

This is actually the only Nissan Cube in the whole country, used import from Germany where they sold euro-spec ones for just a single year before they were discontinued from the whole European market.

I had sort of a econo-box before this, a Toyota Yaris Verso - which share platform with the Scion xB. I actually bought xB lowering springs for my Verso, they fit straight on. That car got rear-ended by a Toyota Landcruiser at an intersection and was totaled, so I was actually looking for one of the very few xBs that found their way to Norway (less than 10 in total). Then I could have parted out my Verso and moved all the upgraded parts onto the xB. But the one I had on hand slipped away while I was waiting for insurance payout for the Verso, and it was the seller of that one that tipped me about the Cube that was for sale at the same time. It was even quite locally, so the very next day I drove down and inspected it - and bought it on the spot So that is how I ended up with this car.

I can try to make a build log from the beginning chronologically, as I have some old pics from doing the wiring/deadening etc. So I can post them up before going fast forward to the V2.0 of the build.

1/0g (50mm2) power cable, with ring terminal crimped on with a hydraulic crimping press. Love this tool

Heat shrink to cover up the exposed metal:

This fits directly on a spare connection on the OEM terminal block, thanks Nissan!

When the OEM lid is in place, no wiring is exposed.

Did not find space for such a large diameter cable in any of the OEM grommets, so decided to make my own hole through the firewall:

Ran the power cable through here, after installing a rubber grommet to protect it from sharp edges:

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Rear floor in OEM state with just the stock deadening

First layer is Ground Zero 2mm butyl dampening mats:

Next layer is GZ 8mm foam:

Had to use it sparingly in the end because I didn't have enough at hand, and this was a time crunch to get ready for finals.. So can improve on this.

Then putting back the OEM foam. This goes from 1,5" thick in the back to almost 4" thick in the front. It also makes the floor flat in the trunk area and under the rear seats.

However, it also "steals" some useable space when you need all you can get, so this will come out for the next phase of the build. I need the space Will replace it with something slimmer and more effective.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Installing car audio is a fine way to spend your free time.. but it's very frustrating when you don't have any free time to spend!

So I had to resort to some shopping therapy to easy my mind... Or in the interest of saving time on another rebuild I just went straight ahead and ordered a Utopia SUB10WM subwoofer before starting this install. It would have come to that somewhere down the road anyway...

So waiting for the new subwoofer now, meanwhile I'm sketching up some new layout designs for the trunk area.