Thread: 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71 by Audio-X

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Is it getting enough juice? Might have to recable the positive and negative to the battery...

Kelvin
    I hadn't considered that, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    How about that new Kali series from Adire Audio?
    If I go 18, I've already got an Audioque that I was really happy with, but it's been sitting around for a couple of years. I'll check that out, though.

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I hadn't considered that, thanks!

If I go 18, I've already got an Audioque that I was really happy with, but it's been sitting around for a couple of years. I'll check that out, though.
    40 mm Xmax, one way. XBL^2.
    https://www.adireaudio.com/product/kali/

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Okay...hehe...so, funny story...

I haven't had much of a chance to troubleshoot the control issues the past couple of days. It actually got to the point that the steering wheel controls would quit working almost immediately. I remembered the radio came with a wireless remote, which I've rarely ever used on previous radios due to the idiotic button layout. I figured I would use it until I could do some more troubleshooting. As it would have it, the remote didn't work either...so I figured that since the Maestro was plugged into the wired remote port, it must be overriding the IR remote. Before I left the house this morning, I un-bolted the screen real quick and disconnected the 3.5mm plug from the radio.

I buttoned everything back up, and the wireless remote started working, so I went on about my day. On the way to breakfast, without thinking, I pressed the steering wheel button to adjust the volume...and to my complete surprise, IT WORKED! So I tried all the other buttons, and everything is working as it should. Thinking back, I recalled the Maestro had a data cable that had a Molex connector on each end that plugged into the radio, so the 3.5mm plug must be some redundant control. I got to wondering if I left it unplugged, what functionality I would lose. I would do more research when I got home.

Well, it turns out...and this is the funny part...that 3.5mm plug isn't a data connection for wired remote after all. It's actually an audio plug that was supposed to be plugged into the AUX-in cable. In fact, it said as much right there in the $&^*ing installation manual.

Sooo...I got everything wired correctly this time, and everything seems to working properly. It appears the only functionality I lost was the "Now Playing" screen now longer displays at the bottom of the gauge cluster...it instead shows "Audio Off". It's no big deal, but somewhat disappointing.

Also, the plug that hooks up to the ODBII port doesn't play well with others. I have a module that prevents the engine from dropping from 8-cylinders to 4, and I thought using a y-adapter plug would allow me to use both, but the radio shows connection error on the gauges screen when the module is plugged in. I'm not sure that I really need more gauges, so I might just disconnect it and use the bypass module instead.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I also got some new toys

An upgraded soldering station to use with my new Hakko soldering iron

And some more goodies

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I feel like this is necessary to post

I like the Morel components. Is the midrange an add on or is that a 3-way?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I've had the mid for a while. It's the 2-1/2" Morel CAW214, which I bought back when Madisound had them for $30 each https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...4-03212017.pdf

They have discontinued it, and replaced it with the CCWR 254, which is the exact same thing for 5x the price.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

For those who don't know, I bought a Helix DSP Pro from Erin...and for those who don't know who Erin is, she's the ugly purple-haired chick with the new Civic.

Anyhoo...I bought a couple of accessories for it

I wanted the ability to run digital straight from my iPhone to the Helix, so I got the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter to go directly to the Helix HEC HD Audio USB Interface. For volume and subwoofer control, I didn't really want a Director, so I opted for the URC.3

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I thought that was Eric
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

A question on the headunit if I may BigAl...when in network mode do you know if it has separate left and right eq like the 80 prs? I'm most likely going to install mine soon since it looks like my factory headunit may be taking a dump and thinking about ditching the twk88 for a super simple setup. Thanks

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

No, all the "network mode" does is tell the fronts to be highs, the rears to be mids, and then includes rudimentary crossovers. The EQ is just generic for all channels.

Now that I've taken it out of network mode, all channels are back to being full-range, but you still have individual delay and speaker level in addition to balance/fader. I listen to audiobooks quite often, and just based off some slight tweaking, the imaging on the factory speakers is spot on. The narrator sounds like he's just to the left of the rear-view mirror. Music sounds good, but is a bit less distinct.