Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier no longer powering on

1. Back To Top    #1

Amplifier no longer powering on

Hi, I was reconnecting the power cord to the amp and didn't realize the key was in the ignition turned on with the radio volume down. As a result there was a spark and the amp no longer powers up. The amp in the power cord is not blown and I have tested the power to the amp from the power cord and it is delivering. What else could it be? Something in the amp itself?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Amplifier no longer powering on

Does the amp have a built-in fuse? Most do.

3. Back To Top    #3

It does and it is not blown. The fuse to the batter is fine and the fuse in the amp is not blown as well.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Try touching a wire between the amp's + and the remote turn-on and see if it will power up that way. You could have blown a fuse behind or in the radio.

5. Back To Top    #5

okay, I will try that tonight. Do you mean my radio in my dashboard? Wouldn't it not power up if a fuse blew? I didn't realize there may be a fuse behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Try touching a wire between the amp's + and the remote turn-on and see if it will power up that way. You could have blown a fuse behind or in the radio.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Is it an aftermarket radio? If so, the radio puts out 12v whenever it's on to tell the amp to turn on also. This is typically done via a blue or blue/white wire, which would normally have a fuse also behind the radio. If that fuse is blown, the amp isn't getting the signal to turn on.

7. Back To Top    #7

It's the stock radio for a 2015 Jeep Rubicon. So I doublechcked closely the The onboard fuse along with the fuse between the 2-Channel High Power Line Output Converter and the amp and they are fine. The fuse in the power cable at the battery is fine. The 2-Channel High Power Line Output Converter that sits next to the amp and sub lights up which sounds like bad news for the amplifier? The amp is a Sound Storm SSL F2.600.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Is it an aftermarket radio? If so, the radio puts out 12v whenever it's on to tell the amp to turn on also. This is typically done via a blue or blue/white wire, which would normally have a fuse also behind the radio. If that fuse is blown, the amp isn't getting the signal to turn on.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I've had this happen before, on an older JBL amp - but I accidentally touched the power cable to the negative terminal. Blew the fuses on the amplifier, but worked after I replaced them.

The other amps I've seen where someone did something similar... they had internal damage.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

fenster4, this is a possible "death knell" [ Hi, I was reconnecting the power cord to the amp and didn't realize the key was in the ignition turned on with the radio volume down. As a result there was a spark and the amp no longer powers up.]

comparison of your amp and replacement amp - https://www.sonicelectronix.com/comp...nnel-Amplifier

possible replacement amp -https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...Amplifier.html
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Taking a fuse out or disconnecting a power cable at battery takes a lil longer but saves $$$$$$ !!!!
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]