Thread: Looking for opinions / suggestions.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

Looking for opinions / suggestions.

The vehicle in question is an 05 F150 Super Crew. Already installed is an Alpine ILX-W650. Purchased and on the way are Morel Tempo Ultra 602 components and a Phoenix Gold SX800.4. I will also be ordering a set of Maximo 6.5 coaxial these will be for rear fill as I often have rear passengers, also like some rear fill.

I will not be running a DSP initially may look into one later on. I am shopping for sub stage at this time, I have settled on the Fox Acoustics single 10 enclosure, .80 cubes sealed. I am looking at the Morel Primo 104.

The plan is to run the fronts off two channels of the amp 125 per and the sub off the bridged rears at 400 watts, rears off deck power for now. I would like to go active in the future so may try to pick up another SX800.4 in the next couple of weeks.

I mainly listen to older rock and 80's music with some blues/blues rock thrown in, however there is some newer rock/aLt thrown in Korn and Godsmack as an example. Not looking for boomy bass want something that blends well with the front stage have heard good things about the Primo just never heard them myself.

So any and all opinions suggestions are welcome.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Re: Looking for opinions / suggestions.

Never heard those subs, but looks like a solid plan to me.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I've had two of them (not at the same time though) and can say, they are NOT built like any other stamped frame subwoofer. There is definitely some magic tossed in there somewhere, because it sounds better than most fancy framed beefy magnet subs out there on the market. VERY clean, very good output, and still can blend with quite minimal tuning. Doesn't disappear like the Ultimo and Ultimo SC can, but still sounds absolutely amazing.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    I've had two of them (not at the same time though) and can say, they are NOT built like any other stamped frame subwoofer. There is definitely some magic tossed in there somewhere, because it sounds better than most fancy framed beefy magnet subs out there on the market. VERY clean, very good output, and still can blend with quite minimal tuning. Doesn't disappear like the Ultimo and Ultimo SC can, but still sounds absolutely amazing.
    Thanks, I have looked at the SC104 I think it would like a little more power than the SX800.4 could provide. However i had not ruled it out. This was what I had hoped to hear about the Primo as well, feel like I would be happy either way
    Last edited by DaddyMack; 07-12-2019 at 08:44 PM.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Absolutely! I think your wallet would be happier with the Primo though
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Here are my opinions......

The Morel sub is great I'm sure and it matches the rest of your speakers....to me though, that's a lot of money to put into a 10" sub. May I suggest the JL 10W0?
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W...-4.html?tp=111
    half the price, sounds excellent and is good in a .65 cuft sealed enclosure

Rears are fine but running them off of the deck power, even temporarily, is going to limit the rest of your system. Picture this you start turning up the volume, the fronts and sub have plenty of head room but then your rears run out of power and start to distort. Your whole system sounds worse now because of the rears.
    I wouldn't run them. The front speakers are maybe 4' away from the back seat of an f150. They won't add any "staging" for the rear passengers and without proper L-R rear fill processing will weaken your stage. If you want to run them, run them parallel on the 1-2 channels of your 4 channel amp. You'll still have left and right balance and you can still bridge your sub on channels 3-4. no lack of power problems for any speaker and you still have room to add to your system as your taste grows.

Good luck and welcome to CAJ
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

Chithead,
    My wallet agrees.

Notloudenuf,
    I have concerns about running rear fill to begin with as I basically sit with my ear above the drivers rear speaker. I may hold off on buying the rear speakers and instead look for a SX600.1 and an active crossover. I can always run the fronts passive and the sub off the bridged rear channels for now.
    I have had JL subs owned 10w1s back in the day. I don't dislike JL, just looking to try something different and had read a few comments on the Primo that lead me to believe it may be what I am looking for.
    I am not worried about brand matching the drivers I also looked at some Audiomobile drivers as well as Alumapro Alchemy MX. I am leaning to the Primo due to the box requirements and 90db efficiency as well as the reviews I have read about the driver. I want to go with a single 10 to keep some under seat space in my cab.

Thanks appreciate the input.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Liking your plans !

The 10 you would thoroughly enjoy may be found used : Elemental Designs sold an ea 2.2 , that Thilo of TC Sounds made for Ben Milne.

Best of luck ! (Morel Elate)
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]