Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Competitors ?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Competitors ?

I don't compete but I tune with the seat all the way back because it's the only way I can tune with the laptop...IN MY LAP and not laying on the console. I can adjust levels and time alignment for seating positions in the headunit with one channel pair of dash mids and tweets, pair for midbass in doors, and pair for sub. As far as l/r eq goes there's not enough of an audible difference to matter while driving and I have to have the seat up several clicks being so sawed off. Or maybe I'm just not as picky as some. I just know small level and time alignment adjustments are enough to compensate along with the eq in the Pioneer.

Also, one thing that took me forever to learn is that more times than not swapping out speakers will put you on an endless treadmill of wasted money. Fix the problem at hand in the install with what you have and then and only then decide if a speaker change is necessary. Some speaker locations in cars/trucks will fight you no matter what you put in there.

Speaking of speaker swaps I'm about to replace what I call the "perfect" 12" SQ sub with another great 12" SQ sub that only needs about 1/3 the box size. Hopefully I'm not making a mistake but will put the air pig back in if needed.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #22

What I meant was do you have a special tune for judging with seats back as far as possible? I'll have a driver's seat tune and and a second tune if someone is with me and in the passenger seat. Is adding a third tune for SQ judging with seats all the way back a good idea? Won't the stage seem bigger that way?

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Of course. I've been in cars where the owner put extended seat rails in to scoot them back as far as possible. Less pathlength difference the better.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Only! If speakers are mounted in the "kick panels" will closer to equal path lengths appear !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Only! If speakers are mounted in the "kick panels" will closer to equal path lengths appear !
    Even with pillar/dash mounted speakers the difference will be less the further back you slide the seat. Not like kick mounted but still better than nothing.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

They should 2 seat judge and the seat should be in a reasonable driving position.

7. Back To Top    #27

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I don't compete but I tune with the seat all the way back because it's the only way I can tune with the laptop...IN MY LAP and not laying on the console.
    So yea this makes sense and I have demo'd a few cars at shows where the seat was very much all the way back, almost to where there is no way they are driving the car this way! I get it that the tune will have better chances of sounding better overall, and you have a diff tune for daily driving position. Would it be better if competing to always have a tune for seats extended all the way back?

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I would think your one seat tune would be the one you would use for competition. What would you do differently if it isn’t? Of course, I’ve never competed yet, and my seat is all the way back in my ride, so I’m just guessing the 6”-12” difference in your head position might need a different time alignment?
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

As a long time competitor and a judge I can tell you this.

1. If it sounds like crap when you are tuning then it sounds like crap when its being judged. Good sound is good sound PERIOD!!!
    2. PUT THE MIC DOWN AND TUNE WITH YOUR EARS AT SOME POINT!!!! This isnt an RTA contest so use your ears as well as your mic.
    3. Make your seating position one that is comfortable to a judge who is 6'5 or 5'6 and so they can write notes and give you proper feedback. There is nothing worse then getting into a car where I am eating the steering wheel for 15 minutes.
    4. Phase relates to so many things, you should wire your car properly and play with phase in your DSP whether thru crossover points or swapping polarity.
    5. Talk to other competitors, listen to other cars, talk to the judges and get to know them. Learn judging styles, listen to what wins and ask questions.

Hope this helps.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by banshee28 View Post
    So yea this makes sense and I have demo'd a few cars at shows where the seat was very much all the way back, almost to where there is no way they are driving the car this way! I get it that the tune will have better chances of sounding better overall, and you have a diff tune for daily driving position. Would it be better if competing to always have a tune for seats extended all the way back?
    In my Grand Cherokee I drove it with power seat all the way up in height and scooted forward quite a bit. I like to be able to see what's around me and was used to sitting up high in a real truck. Oh, I'm 5-7 and pretty sawed off with short legs. With that seat all the way down on the floor and all the way back someone 8' tall could have probably comfortable driven that thing. I always laughed when someone got in for a demo and asked if that was my driving position. I literally couldn't see over the dash. As far as tuning I mentioned it before but will mention this again. Levels and time alignment would get me close enough for a good driving tune. Also a little mono eq here and there. l/r eq didn't get touched. In my Ram there isn't much difference between seat all the way back and in driving position since the back will only recline so far before it hits the cab wall. All I do is adjust levels and time alignment in the headunit since I did rca's and processor routing to give me good control on the fly that way.

I have never competed but have been doing this long enough and been in enough high scoring cars to know what's what. I could probably be competitive if I put myself out there but just too casual in this hobby to put the effort into it. And the rta while very useful is just one small part of the overall finished tune. Howard nailed it in his post of different tips.