Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Competitors ?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    ~Paw~Paw})]<^>¥ Hic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hic
    Location
    Michigan
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT
    Posts
    3,161
    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Competitors ?

    If you compete in car audio competitions, what tips would you pass on , the ones you found most beneficial!

    Really. Improve. The "sound" of a system ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

  2. Back To Top    #2
    ~Paw~Paw})]<^>¥ Hic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hic
    Location
    Michigan
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT
    Posts
    3,161
    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Re: Competitors ?

    Anything on achieving system "tonality ", or stage width/depth/heigth ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

  3. Back To Top    #3
    ~Paw~Paw})]<^>¥ Hic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hic
    Location
    Michigan
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT
    Posts
    3,161
    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Re: Competitors ?

    . . . and there you have it from the people who compete in the IASCA/et cetera / / / '/

    Try to adjust your system the way that they do [basically, put speakers in factpry locations /dash or door/rear deck/etc..,]

    Power it up and win a ribbon or trophy !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Competitors ?

    I think it's really hard to answer this general of a question. A lot of improving a system is identifying what is wrong with it, so that would likely be different for every car.

    I will throw out some tips that I find to be helpful recently:
    - Kill peaks, don't fill narrow troughs.
    - Time align by tape measure to get close, then by ear. Phase is everything.
    - Sound deaden everything. Then deaden everything you missed the first time.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    ~Paw~Paw})]<^>¥ Hic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hic
    Location
    Michigan
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT
    Posts
    3,161
    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Re: Competitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    I think it's really hard to answer this general of a question. A lot of improving a system is identifying what is wrong with it, so that would likely be different for every car.

    I will throw out some tips that I find to be helpful recently:Kill peaks, don't fill narrow troughs


    - Phase is everything.

    - Sound deaden everything. Then deaden everything you missed the first time.
    tap/flick/tuning fork the speaker mount to check for resonation [ add more deadner if it resonates/vibrates ]

    add under dash padding/mats/towels to change sound ! ! !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

  6. Back To Top    #6
    ~Paw~Paw})]<^>¥ Hic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Hic
    Location
    Michigan
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT
    Posts
    3,161
    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Re: Competitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    A lot of improving a system is identifying what is wrong with it, so that would likely be different for every car.

    I will throw out some tips that I find to be helpful recently:
    - Kill peaks, don't fill narrow troughs.
    - Time align by tape measure to get close, then by ear. Phase first time.
    Do you find that "Phase" is best with speakers all wired negative to negative and positive to positive ?
    Have you found that boosting or lowering volume on the rightside or leftside helps to "center" (especially with tweeters) ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Competitors ?

    Get the system sounding as good as possible...good center (focused), good width, good depth. Once you’ve done this, go compete. The feedback from different judges has been a great help. My hearing isn’t great (retired Marine infantry). The feedback helped me correct issues that I wasn’t aware of. That being said, I can hear and feel the improvements. My current install and tune are dialed in about as good as possible given the natural limitations of speaker placement and interior space. Every single day my system amazes me with its ability to accurately reproduce music. I get goose bumps daily. Feedback from multiple trained judges has helped me more than anything. If you can’t compete, go to meet and greets...find a good shop. Do whatever you can to get more ears in your vehicle. Listen to other well tuned vehicles to identify shortcomings in your own. Tune..tune...tune, enjoy!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Competitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Do you find that "Phase" is best with speakers all wired negative to negative and positive to positive ?
    Have you found that boosting or lowering volume on the rightside or leftside helps to "center" (especially with tweeters) ?
    I wire positive to positive and use the DSP to tweak phase.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Owner BigAl205's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alan
    Location
    Hayden, AL
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71
    Posts
    4,676
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Re: Competitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
    Get the system sounding as good as possible...good center (focused), good width, good depth. Once you’ve done this, go compete. The feedback from different judges has been a great help. My hearing isn’t great (retired Marine infantry). The feedback helped me correct issues that I wasn’t aware of. That being said, I can hear and feel the improvements. My current install and tune are dialed in about as good as possible given the natural limitations of speaker placement and interior space. Every single day my system amazes me with its ability to accurately reproduce music. I get goose bumps daily. Feedback from multiple trained judges has helped me more than anything. If you can’t compete, go to meet and greets...find a good shop. Do whatever you can to get more ears in your vehicle. Listen to other well tuned vehicles to identify shortcomings in your own. Tune..tune...tune, enjoy!
    Having been without a system for several years, I can't wait to get mine installed. I'm having Steve Cook at Audio-X doing mine...well, I was set up for next week but had to back it up due to scheduling conflicts. I told him I would like to try my hand at competing, so hopefully he'll give it that something extra.


    Next season I'm coming for ya

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Competitors ?

    LOL...bring it! Your boy Tony Rodriguez has been a thorn in my side and he’s another Audio X guy (I love Tony actually...great guy!).

    Truth be told, as much as it would pain me to spend money in alabama, I may take a trip east myself for some Audio X treatment. Steve builds great sounding systems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back To Top