Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

I don't know why these are so rare, but it's next to impossible to find any double-DIN head units with Toslink output.

I've been doing random Google searches from time to time over the past couple of months, and other than one or two Clarion head units and some off-brand Android head units, it seems that no one else on the planet make head units with an optical output. Alpine apparently made one a while back, but it was discontinued.

This makes no sense to me considering any decent DSP or DSP amp comes with a Toslink input. The fact that when running Toslink, you no longer have to worry about line drivers for upping the line level voltage, no noise getting injected into the system, and only a single "cable" running to the rear of the vehicle to deliver the source signal to your DSP/amp.

Since I'm designing a totally new system for my up and coming 2001 Lexus LS430, and I now have a Helix DSP.2 which has a Toslink input, I would much rather utilize that rather than running interconnects through the car. That way I would only need very short interconnects between the DSP and the amps.

Then again, I could go one step further and remove ALL of the interconnects from the system by selling the Helix and getting something like the Zapco ADSP-Z8 IV-8 amp with built-in DSP and 8 channels of amplification to power the entire system, including the sub(s). <-- A very VERY good solution for a clean, stealth, low powered SQ system.

This car is SO quiet inside, even at 80 mph on the highway, you don't need a lot of power at all to get decent clean sound.

So with that said, am I missing something here or are none of the popular audio brands really not producing head units with Toslink outputs?
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Re: Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

Replied to your post over on DIYMA, I am in the same boat, trying to find one is not easy. From what little I have read the interface on the Clarion units is terrible, the off-brand Android units for the most part are terrible overall which leaves no appealing options. I run a tablet currently, but after 6 years in the car it is on it's last legs, ideally, I'd swap in another tablet, but finding one that has charging and OTG is proving virtually impossible and while running RCA's through the car is not the worst job in the world, I would rather simply use the optical cable that is already there.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I saw your post on DIYMA. Small world!

It seems that for quite some time now, Clarion hasn't been the brand it used to be. They used to be right up there with the best from Alpine. Anymore, they seem to be about inline with Boss and Dual. Definitely not my cup-o-tea.

Someone over on DIYMA mentioned the Stinger Elev8 which I had completely forgot about. That is certainly a possible winner. In all honesty, it might be the only winner. I haven't looked at any of those Chinese Android units. Not that I have anything against them, I just don't know any of their names, hence I wouldn't know what to search for. But like you and others have said, they're not exactly the best option either.
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SQ_Blaze View Post
    Someone over on DIYMA mentioned the Stinger Elev8 which I had completely forgot about. That is certainly a possible winner. In all honesty, it might be the only winner. I haven't looked at any of those Chinese Android units. Not that I have anything against them, I just don't know any of their names, hence I wouldn't know what to search for. But like you and others have said, they're not exactly the best option either.
    I can't tell if I like the Elev8 or not, I don't know that I can get over it's looks of floating in front of the dash to be honest. One of the main things with my tablet when I installed that was I wanted it to sit flush with the dash, so not sure I would want something sticking out. Now, if the angles of the screen and dimensions work in my dash it may be able to mount in such a way that it does not look like it is floating all that much, although it will still stick out. Going to take some measurements later to see, at the moment though I can see me having to go with a unit without the Toslink (likely a Kenwood 9905 or 9906) and having to run RCA's. The Chinese Android units just seem like too much of a gamble since most of them seem to not be that reliable and have various issues with set up. I'll take (reluctantly) running a set of RCA's over an unreliable buggy unit.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    I can't tell if I like the Elev8 or not, I don't know that I can get over it's looks of floating in front of the dash to be honest. One of the main things with my tablet when I installed that was I wanted it to sit flush with the dash, so not sure I would want something sticking out. Now, if the angles of the screen and dimensions work in my dash it may be able to mount in such a way that it does not look like it is floating all that much, although it will still stick out. Going to take some measurements later to see, at the moment though I can see me having to go with a unit without the Toslink (likely a Kenwood 9905 or 9906) and having to run RCA's. The Chinese Android units just seem like too much of a gamble since most of them seem to not be that reliable and have various issues with set up. I'll take (reluctantly) running a set of RCA's over an unreliable buggy unit.
    Yeah, I kind of feel the same way honestly. If I have to run RCA's again, I will. It would just be nice to be able to use the superior DAC that's in the Helix DSP.2 rather than the inferior DAC built into most all head units.
    2001 Lexus LS430

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Well, looks like even if I could get over the looks of the Elev8, it won't work for me. Dimensions listed as 9.78" x 8.45" and the widest point of my dash where I would be OK if it fit (would sort of look flush) is 9 3/8" My dash looks like this (not my pic, but same car):

[img]https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar..._med/pic13.jpg[/img]

So, for it to fit it would have to sit out further than those side vertical tan pieces. Which not only would make getting to the HVAC controls annoying, but also look like utter garbage, so that rules out the Elev8. Looking more and more like I will be running a set of RCA's (unless I find another tablet that will fit).
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I've never seen that Stinger HU. It looks like they have specific instructions for mounting into a GM truck with no cutting required. that might be a better option than the Pioneer I bought

...and still haven't installed

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Well, looks like even if I could get over the looks of the Elev8, it won't work for me. Dimensions listed as 9.78" x 8.45" and the widest point of my dash where I would be OK if it fit (would sort of look flush) is 9 3/8" My dash looks like this (not my pic, but same car):

[img]https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar..._med/pic13.jpg[/img]

So, for it to fit it would have to sit out further than those side vertical tan pieces. Which not only would make getting to the HVAC controls annoying, but also look like utter garbage, so that rules out the Elev8. Looking more and more like I will be running a set of RCA's (unless I find another tablet that will fit).
    I see what you mean. I think it would look odd and block your HVAC controls a little. And after looking at the dash in the Lexus, I think I would probably run into the same issue, both with the HVAC controls above and the two cubbies below. Not to mention I'm not totally keen on the whole screen floating out in the open like that. The whole point to my installs is to have them look as stock as possible. It certainly won't look stock with a freaking LED TV bolted to the dash! LOL

2001 Lexus LS430

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SQ_Blaze View Post
    The whole point to my installs is to have them look as stock as possible. It certainly won't look stock with a freaking LED TV bolted to the dash! LOL
    Exactly. That's what I try for as well, found a pic of my tablet install, I wanted it to not look like a tablet:

Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Well, gave in and ordered a Kenwood 9905S. My tablet uses a mini toslink on the USB-DAC, so I'd have to run a new optical cable at the very least. At least I can tie an RCA to the existing optical cable and use that to pull it through the car, of course now I have to worry about interference from the power cables. I wish there was something out there other than the Elev8 and the unknown Chinese units, but at least from my research the Kenwood should be a good buy, it has a great screen, UI, plays pretty much anything you throw at it and has no problems with large SSD's attached. Looked at the newer 9906 unit, but I could not justify the extra expense for no real gain. Also, Newegg currently have the 9905 with a $100 discount, so that helped!

I'll feel a little sad at removing the tablet, it has been great for the years I had it, not only did it work incredibly well but it was also a fun project.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix