Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

You won't regret that purchase, Ian. Solid headunit.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Well, gave in and ordered a Kenwood 9905S. My tablet uses a mini toslink on the USB-DAC, so I'd have to run a new optical cable at the very least. At least I can tie an RCA to the existing optical cable and use that to pull it through the car, of course now I have to worry about interference from the power cables. I wish there was something out there other than the Elev8 and the unknown Chinese units, but at least from my research the Kenwood should be a good buy, it has a great screen, UI, plays pretty much anything you throw at it and has no problems with large SSD's attached. Looked at the newer 9906 unit, but I could not justify the extra expense for no real gain. Also, Newegg currently have the 9905 with a $100 discount, so that helped!

I'll feel a little sad at removing the tablet, it has been great for the years I had it, not only did it work incredibly well but it was also a fun project.
    I've always like Kenwood for car audio (their home audio not so much...). I've always bought their Excelon line the two or three head units I've had in the past. If I go with another one for the Lexus, it'll most likely be the DDX9906XR. I'll probably just run it through the stock amp and speakers for a while until I figure out exactly what I'm going to do with the system.
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

3. Back To Top    #13

It's very funny... Lots of dsp out there, many of them not even in the budget, high performance DAC, digital input and... almost no head unit whit digita output! I really don't understand this policy...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I'm surprised they're not using HDMI yet

5. Back To Top    #15

Sony RSX-GS9

Stinger HEIGH10...are the two that I know of in case someone stumbles across this old thread looking for TOSLINK HU's.

6. Back To Top    #16

Joying android units have digital and optical digital out.

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    Joying android units have digital and optical digital out.
    I really doubt about it. Someone said it sound really bad compared with REAL HIGH QUALITY digital source. I'm afraid they just convert analogic signal with some cheap board converter into toslink.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by mark3004 View Post
    I really doubt about it. Someone said it sound really bad compared with REAL HIGH QUALITY digital source. I'm afraid they just convert analogic signal with some cheap board converter into toslink.
    Well if someone said that it must be true !
    What sense would that make for them to do that ?

I compared a Pioneer P99rs which I think everyone considers a high end head unit. I sent pure unadulterated analog into my Helix and the Joying digital straing into same helix. Both units playing a USB with the exact same wav file I could start both songs at the same time and switch back and forth instantly. The Joying digital clearly sounded better. Considering I've been enjoying the P99 for the last decade I'm pretty happy with that outcome. If that's crappy digital I'll take it.

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by mark3004 View Post
    Why would they do that when they could just pump the digital signal right out through coax or toslink?

10. Back To Top    #20

I am using the Joying new lineup which has both optical n coaxial outputs.

I did a A/B with Fiio M11 coaxial output and Joying optical output using same track on both devices.

The difference is very little with Fiio better by 5% from Joying. Looking at features n flexibility Joying offers in latest HU is a no brainer

Sent from my IN2021 using Tapatalk