Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Smart ForTwo

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Richard

Re: 2009 Smart ForTwo

Thanks everyone.

Paul, tuning starts today, targeting a show at MECA CA state finals 15 minutes from our house .

The beauty of the H800 is that you can tune with the controller OR with a laptop. So typically, can use a laptop for extended tuning sessions. But when at a comp, gtg, or even just driving, if there's a small tweak I would like to make, I don't have to bust out a laptop to change the tune. Most other non-Alpine processors I know off are either one or the other. Plus, the Alpine comes with 6 presets out of the box. Another nice to have.

Will be sending you a PM shortly.

2. Back To Top    #12

Wow props to jt audio on the Fab work, looks great! 5" point sources in ya face, and that sub, in such a small space, I'd imagine the dynamics are astounding. What brought Mrs. Papasin to this point? Last instal in this car was fairly small, she love the sq that much, or is she just addicted to the competition?

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Wow props to jt audio on the Fab work, looks great! 5" point sources in ya face, and that sub, in such a small space, I'd imagine the dynamics are astounding. What brought Mrs. Papasin to this point? Last instal in this car was fairly small, she love the sq that much, or is she just addicted to the competition?
    There's a couple guys on this thread that can probably comment and witnessed the events that led up to this in the MECA rules thread on DIYMA. Without having to drudge that all back up and to keep a long story short, basically, there was a protest on her car's classification in MECA...so while we decided to stay in the sidelines for a little bit, rather than (re-)building a car for a specific class, let's just say she opted to go for the home run and go into a class where pretty much anything goes .
    Last edited by papasin; 09-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by papasin View Post
    ...let's just say she opted to go for the home run and go into a class where pretty much anything goes .
    Smart!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lolisee.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1377

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by papasin View Post
    There's a couple guys on this thread that can probably comment and witnessed the events that led up to this in the MECA rules thread on DIYMA. Without having to drudge that all back up and to keep a long story short, basically, there was a protest on her car's classification in MECA...so while we decided to stay in the sidelines for a little bit, rather than (re-)building a car for a specific class, let's just say she opted to go for the home run and go into a class where pretty much anything goes .

Yup, I was following that thread during the whole "rules" fiasco. I was just surprised to see a lady go the "all out for sound" route. Doesent follow their typically inherent patterns of unobtrusive asthetics, not just car audio, but usually in most things they do. Kinda something they seem to be hardwired to follow. It just looks like something a guy would do, throwing practicality and conservatism to the wind in search of higher sq......regardless, it looks great! I'm jelly of the fact that your wife is as into audio as you are, and for that fact that your whole family attends, and participates in the competition scene. Also glad you weren't too discouraged to return to something that your enthusiasm shines through on everytime you post about it. My wife is the "background music" type, and shares no love for my stereo, or my constant desire to change it. So count yourself lucky she not only showed interest in your hobby, but enjoys music enough to actually want a nice stereo in her own car! Out of curiosity, do you guys share a taste in music? That would be awesome as well, not only someone to appreciate the sounds of a good stereo, but someone who is entertained by the same music as well......

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Wow.. nice looking install.... Nice and clean!

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Yup, I was following that thread during the whole "rules" fiasco. I was just surprised to see a lady go the "all out for sound" route. Doesent follow their typically inherent patterns of unobtrusive asthetics, not just car audio, but usually in most things they do. Kinda something they seem to be hardwired to follow. It just looks like something a guy would do, throwing practicality and conservatism to the wind in search of higher sq......regardless, it looks great! I'm jelly of the fact that your wife is as into audio as you are, and for that fact that your whole family attends, and participates in the competition scene. Also glad you weren't too discouraged to return to something that your enthusiasm shines through on everytime you post about it. My wife is the "background music" type, and shares no love for my stereo, or my constant desire to change it. So count yourself lucky she not only showed interest in your hobby, but enjoys music enough to actually want a nice stereo in her own car! Out of curiosity, do you guys share a taste in music? That would be awesome as well, not only someone to appreciate the sounds of a good stereo, but someone who is entertained by the same music as well......
    Well, a few things in response to what you said...

1. TBH, I was (and to a certain extent sometimes feel like) wanting to walk away from the competition scene. When it ceases to be fun, really should examine whether you still should do it. The irony is, in this past comp year, I had way more fun in the comps that I didn't win, and the least fun at the last comp that I won. And I won big time, like beat the other 3 guys in my class by 20 points or more (and for that day, my car beat the reigning worlds master class sq runner up, and was a couple points from the nation's extreme class points leader for this year). But this comp took place after the initial protest, and the protest that we thought was behind us...it kind of already left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyway, it was after that comp where "Smartgate" all happened, and I was really ready to walk away...but it's my wife who wants to basically "prove that she can rise beyond whatever others throw at her"...and naturally, I want to support her (funny that most folks yearn for their wives to support them, not the other way around ).
    2. My wife is used to this kind of stuff being in the profession she's in. A couple others know this, but she's an electrical engineer by training, a field that we know is for the most part male dominant. Through her career, she's used to people thinking, well, she's just a girl . Not saying that's what you implied, but you kind of did . The others at the comp scene all think she just "tags along" with me...and while that may have been how it started, it's far from it now. She's really taken a passion to SQ, and in fact, I tell her she should be a judge, but she doesn't want to be subjected to more "crap". IMHO she would be a fantastic SQ judge, and not just an opinion I have. She has a really good ear, can pick out when listening whether 10k or another band is a little hot, something's wrong with the layering of the instruments on the stage, etc. A couple of the other comp guys noticed this and rush to try go get her for feedback on their cars, but others I don't think still has gotten passed that "she's a girl" and dismiss her abilities or just don't even realize it. With that setting the context, it was entirely her decision to go for this SQ setup. We discussed 4s on the dash and 8s in the kicks, but with her car, there are no kicks, and why stop at 4s that would require a separate midbass vs. 5s plus a sub to fully round out the front stage? That would be simply to conform to a set of rules for a certain class, vs. making a choice on how to make the car the best it could be.
    3. Yeah, as for the family involvement...again, her idea! The kids MK1 car was totally all her, not just the idea, but she built 98% of it, did all the wiring, battery install, amp mounting, etc. I gave her very little help, just a couple times when she had a couple questions, but she did pretty much all of the work. It's not too dissimilar to what she does, which builds and prototypes NASA rovers .
    4. Believe me, I count myself lucky every day, great wife, great kids, what more can one want? I like the GTGs more myself, but she likes to go to both and I'll "tag along" to the comps for a change and support her.
    5. As for taste of music, pretty much anything goes...like the car! We both have experience in classical music. I played the violin for nearly 10 years, and she plays the flute and piano.

Hope that helps set some context.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Richard

Something I posted on the other forum...

Forgot this pic:

Also, more build pics on JT's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/jtaudioacc

9. Back To Top    #19

Awesome, and I would never lower expectations on a lady at anything, or throw the "just a girl" thing around...........its just the look of the instal fits male patterns more so than female......that's one of their advantages in anything, especially in male dominated fields, the different approach they take when examining a given situation, so I in no means meant that she wouldn't be able to plan and execute a fine sounding car. Just expected a different approach and install, than this, which looks like I might have done it........well, except for the brilliant craftsmanship......

10. Back To Top    #20

chick EE with a stubborn streak?

you gotta admit that the stereotype rests on some pretty dominant male behavior/characteristics. Hunter gatherers and that single-minded focus vs. the wailin' baby hovers and all..

I did enjoy the MECA fresca, but I'm geared for prodding, perhaps.

This Smart install is really nice. I'd like to see a little more investigative reports on those Carbons, as I can't help but be prejudiced towards the Kef modeling so far on edge termination and point source accuracy. The high cost helps keep that 'cachet' of competition level, but I'm wondering if the DSP can bring the Carbons to the Kef, making comparison purposes academic.

Rover build, there's room for some linear actuators in there...