View Poll Results: If you had to choose only one, would you prefer listening to music you...

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • *like* on a system that *lacked* tonality/soundstage/imaging

15 68.18%
  • *don't like* on a system with *great* tonality/soundstage/imaging

7 31.82%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which would you prefer?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Which would you prefer?

2. Back To Top    #12

If I had the choice of listening to Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Bach, Handle, Mozart and the like on the store intercom system...

OR...

Listening to Garth Brooks, George Strait, Lil Wayne, Beyonce, Adele, etc, etc on a $100k audiophile system, I'd take the intercom system all day every day.

I don't care how good the system is, I refuse to listen to music I don't like. I'll listen to MY music that I enjoy on a stinking AM radio before I listen to country or RAP/modern R&B.
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Cool Re: Which would you prefer?

MP 3's all day everyday !

F__k sound quality !

No vinyl, Flac, CD's here .

When I got in the car in the morning , my wife had it playing off-harmonic , white noise [ probably rock -n- roll at midnight on her way to work]

overly compressed music without dynamics and "hoe" in the chorus is how I go . . . dem hoes !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

When I was a kid, the music I liked came from a transistor radio...AM.

The music we love touches something deep inside. While a nice system makes it better, what makes it great is still present in lesser playbacks. My $.02

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If I had to choose between the two I'd never have another upgraded system again. I'd roll stock with music I love and make the best of it. My most recent demo cd only had one or two "reference" tracks on it and whether or not those tracks were reference depended on who you asked. I'm not about to willingly listen to music I hate to allow a system to showcase itself the best it can. I'm in it to rock the house and sound pretty good doing it.

It all comes down to...
    1. Are you listening to the system?
    2. Are you listening to the music?

The system is just a way to get the music to your ears. If you're in this so deep that you can't just sit back and enjoy the music without overly analyzing how the system sounds I feel sorry for you.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #16

Saying that you play music you don't like to showcase the best your system can offer, then you didn't design and tune your system properly. It's YOUR system, and YOUR money... If you did things right, you would have designed and tuned the system to your own liking for the music you listen to mostly.

I know for some of you, this isn't the case because you have your systems set up strictly for competition and you have to play music that the judges use for testing.

And Hic, nothing wrong with vinyl. Most of my serious listening is via vinyl. Nothing wrong with FLAC either.
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Why pay more for half inch wide analog tape recorded @ 30 ips and highest tape speed of 76 cm per second and then using K2 Rubidium Master Clock to convert digitally with XRCD24 bit.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    When I was a kid, the music I liked came from a transistor radio...AM.

The music we love touches something deep inside. While a nice system makes it better, what makes it great is still present in lesser playbacks. My $.02
    Well said and I too come from the days of transistor radios with only 2 stations around here! I read long ago that the music you mostly listen to in later years comes from the happiest times of your life and for me that holds true as I prefer 70-80's R&B, funk and rock with a little disco thrown in on occasion . As with many "hobbyists/enthusiasts" I started out just installing a decent system in a car to enjoy my music while driving however the first time I heard a mobile audio system that staged/imaged nicely I was hooked on getting the best possible sound I could. Although I still enjoy the challenge of getting great sound in a vehicle and would prefer to listen to well recorded music I like on a great system I would take that transistor radio with my music over a great system with music I didn't like all day long.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    If I had to choose between the two I'd never have another upgraded system again. I'd roll stock with music I love and make the best of it. My most recent demo cd only had one or two "reference" tracks on it and whether or not those tracks were reference depended on who you asked. I'm not about to willingly listen to music I hate to allow a system to showcase itself the best it can. I'm in it to rock the house and sound pretty good doing it.

It all comes down to...
    1. Are you listening to the system?
    2. Are you listening to the music?

The system is just a way to get the music to your ears. If you're in this so deep that you can't just sit back and enjoy the music without overly analyzing how the system sounds I feel sorry for you.
    My feelings exactly. I see so far everyone has chosen music over system (the one system over music vote was papacueball however he changed his mind after realizing it was one or the other) which I had a feeling was going to be the case here. When I posted this originally I was surprised at first at how many voted for music they did not like on a well set up system however one common denominator I noticed at that time was most of those guys were competitors which makes sense to me.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
    My feelings exactly. I see so far everyone has chosen music over system (the one system over music vote was papacueball however he changed his mind after realizing it was one or the other) which I had a feeling was going to be the case here. When I posted this originally I was surprised at first at how many voted for music they did not like on a well set up system however one common denominator I noticed at that time was most of those guys were competitors which makes sense to me.
    Yeah most of us on here are just hobbyists with a few casual competitors thrown in for spice. When I tune my system I give every genre of music an equal chance of sounding as the producer intended...sorta. Normally somewhat of an equal loudness curve to my hearing. This is one of the big reasons I don't compete. The only person that matters to me is the person who has to live with the system every day. My library is all over the place so there's no way I could tune for one specific type of music but do lean more for a hard rock and grunge type of tune. This is also music from the best (and worst) days of my life.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.