Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improving "ambience" !

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Improving "ambience" !

For attenuating in pickups {just mount rear speakers on outside of rear window! } . It`ll delay the sound (physically block the arrival time). As for Cherookee only DSP. . . Buy a... Cherokee (ta-da) !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I can`t afford flying carpets, unicorns or truck you own.

If you say it cannot be done ! I`m GOOD

Just curious, are you the owner of my truck?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    The person I consulted with about l-r rearfill demonstrated it to me (as well as several others) in his car several years ago by letting us hear with, without, and just how little sound the rears were actually making to make such a huge difference. Not sure if he wants his name thrown around but he knows who he is and was a ton of help. There's no magic to it. It's all about tricking the brain to make the stage seem deeper and/or wider than it really is. And it will wreck the staging just as fast as it will help it. It's a delicate balance that can drive you crazy getting "just right". You simply configure the rear speakers to cancel out mono info and only play left and right cues whether it be in the processor or by twisting the negative speaker wires together and putting each positive into the amp. From what I understand how deep the "room" is has to do with how much delay you add to simulate the left and right cues bouncing off the back wall of the "room". And like with real estate speaker placement is all about location to get the desired effect. Rear deck of a sedan works well. Off axis adds width while on axis adds depth. I think that's right but if not I encourage the ones who know more than I do about this subject to correct me so others will be able to learn.
    Not insinuating in any way that I know more than anyone else on the subject by answering here as this is definitely not something I came up with on my own nor that I fully understand rather I t's something I do using instructions from someone far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be. I understand the goals of doing this (mimicking room reflections to create a greater sense of space without screwing everything else up as you mentioned) and know it works based on my experience however I can't totally grasp the scientific part of how manipulating the inputs on the dsp removes the common info or how our brains get tricked by the delay. I'm also not sure how important the bandpassed frequencies are as I have read numerous opinions on that nor how much difference speaker location makes (I recall werewolf stating 100hz-7khz with speakers above and to the outside of your ears has to do with one of those scientific hearing things the engineers of the original Dolby came up with) however a few things I do know based on my experience are it is not that difficult imo if you have the correct tools as you mention, most everyone speaking on the subject seem to agree the amount of delay changes the effect with a good 20+ milliseconds needed to get the "full effect" and playing the rears too loud or playing higher frequencies from behind you screws everything up which is also what I have found through my experimenting.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Hillbilly SQ, don`t waste your time competing. Send me a thousand dollars and I will mail you a blue ribbon or just go to a competition where no one else shows up to compete and you`ll get 1rst place !

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Hillbilly SQ, don`t waste your time competing. Send me a thousand dollars and I will mail you a blue ribbon or just go to a competition where no one else shows up to compete and you`ll get 1rst place !
    You talk a lot of smack for somebody who's never posted a build log, or any other sign that you've ever actually owned a car audio system...trust me, I've looked. All you've ever done is try to stir up the hornet's nest, and if you can get other people arguing, you just sit back and touch yourself while watching the sparks fly. So instead of drafting off other peoples' work, how about posting some of your own...or...

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
    Not insinuating in any way that I know more than anyone else on the subject by answering here as this is definitely not something I came up with on my own nor that I fully understand rather I t's something I do using instructions from someone far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be. I understand the goals of doing this (mimicking room reflections to create a greater sense of space without screwing everything else up as you mentioned) and know it works based on my experience however I can't totally grasp the scientific part of how manipulating the inputs on the dsp removes the common info or how our brains get tricked by the delay. I'm also not sure how important the bandpassed frequencies are as I have read numerous opinions on that nor how much difference speaker location makes (I recall werewolf stating 100hz-7khz with speakers above and to the outside of your ears has to do with one of those scientific hearing things the engineers of the original Dolby came up with) however a few things I do know based on my experience are it is not that difficult imo if you have the correct tools as you mention, most everyone speaking on the subject seem to agree the amount of delay changes the effect with a good 20+ milliseconds needed to get the "full effect" and playing the rears too loud or playing higher frequencies from behind you screws everything up which is also what I have found through my experimenting.
    I had best luck with 350-3500ish when I ran it in the GC. Other vehicles will react differently. I just know that it wasn't part of my original install plans for this truck. Still might try it the way you mention in the other thread. That's a few years off though.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Al, enjoy that eighteen. Anyone who has children, knows from time-to-time they are gonna tell a whopper !
    Then someone will tell little guy he ain`t fooling nobody and shame on him.
    Your (false/surrogate) lil billy has now learned that telling lies can upset the big guy!
    So, chill :!:

8. Back To Top    #28
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

9. Back To Top    #29
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I need to change the title of this thread to "Improving grammar"

The whole stream of consciousness shit has me lost. This shit certainly ain't worth the effort to try to decipher...

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Is this the twilight zone? Strange happenings up in here.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.