Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Improving "ambience" !

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Improving "ambience" !

Thanks for cleaning up hic's mess Al. Maybe we can get this back to a civilized adult discussion about l-r rearfill.

The biggest piece of advice I have for anyone wanting to try it is if you don't have the right tools to do it then don't bother because you probably won't like the results. If you want to put the effort into doing it correctly with the right processor then it's worth a try just to say you did it. If you can hear them playing with the fronts playing the rears are too loud. Each vehicle will want a different bandpass on the rears and the lower the lowpass the further back the "room" will seem to be in my experience. This is why I preferred 3500hz over say 5000hz. I'm a little rusty on the topic because I haven't messed with l-r rearfill in a while. As it sits I'd have to put the mids in pods back there because the factory locations are pretty low. My sub box is completely blocking the passenger side rear speaker and no plans to change the configuration of the install. I guess me saying I wasn't going to do it sent hic into a tailspin but the experience I got with it in the Grand Cherokee was priceless. I really do think it helped A LOT with the staging considering I had a 2-way front in it. I have a 3-way front in the Ram and stage is already plenty high and deep.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Thanks for cleaning up hic's mess Al. Maybe we can get this back to a civilized adult discussion about l-r rearfill.

The biggest piece of advice I have for anyone wanting to try it is if you don't have the right tools to do it then don't bother because you probably won't like the results. If you want to put the effort into doing it correctly with the right processor then it's worth a try just to say you did it. If you can hear them playing with the fronts playing the rears are too loud. Each vehicle will want a different bandpass on the rears and the lower the lowpass the further back the "room" will seem to be in my experience. This is why I preferred 3500hz over say 5000hz. I'm a little rusty on the topic because I haven't messed with l-r rearfill in a while. As it sits I'd have to put the mids in pods back there because the factory locations are pretty low. My sub box is completely blocking the passenger side rear speaker and no plans to change the configuration of the install. I guess me saying I wasn't going to do it sent hic into a tailspin but the experience I got with it in the Grand Cherokee was priceless. I really do think it helped A LOT with the staging considering I had a 2-way front in it. I have a 3-way front in the Ram and stage is already plenty high and deep.
    If it is that tough to get it right, does it then screw everything up if you listen to poorly recorded music? Is it something you need to tweak for each song, or is it “when you get it dialed in, it helps every song no matter what?”
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    If it is that tough to get it right, does it then screw everything up if you listen to poorly recorded music? Is it something you need to tweak for each song, or is it “when you get it dialed in, it helps every song no matter what?”
    As noted there are always several ways to skin a cat and I have always found experimenting with "some guidance from those in the know" is key to finding what works best "for you". What I consider "well recorded" music already has a "sense of space" built into the recording and does not seem to be affected too much but you still hear it a bit. Also, you will hear a "difference" on any song however one thing for sure is it's not gonna miraculously make total crap recordings/radio sound great. Where I have found the most benefit is in "decent" recordings that don't necessarily have that "sense of space built in i.e. I have tracks that image pretty well but my stage will not be as wide or deep as "well recorded" tracks. My recommendation would be to set up your front stage the best you can and get some Sheffield Labs/Chesky etc recordings. They may not be the type of music you listen to or like but you'll quickly find what "well recorded" music does for your stage. Rear fill set up properly should mimic that kind of stage and sense of space with "decent recordings" imo.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    To be honest it was hit and miss for me depending on the recording. Me and Erin had this discussion and I believe this is why he decided not to run it anymore. L-R rearfill is a neat effect but it can hurt as much as it helps and I was noticing this too. I've never run it the way Marv is in his truck with left playing left and right playing right. L-R is mono ambience by nature with the l/r cues in mono and the mono info cancelled out...I think. I have heard a few cars that were running it the way Marv is in his truck and I don't know how much it actually helped but the owner said it was beneficial. I never noticed there was anything playing from behind me so they obviously didn't have the rears too hot.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.