Thread: How many watts for speaker formula

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: How many watts for speaker formula

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post

The way you answer questions nobody has asked, and argue points no one has brought up is odd, to say the least. Hopefully, it doesn't actually discourage any newcomers to the hobby, whose first exposure to these concepts are your quasi-insulting jabs.
    I am just fortunate you take the time to read, reread and re-read . . .
    Before you admit, commit and then post !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    If hearing your speakers twice as loud doesn`t interest you . . .
    No need for additional watts (turning the volume down) has and will be an option (attenuation ) is a viable choice!
    Just so people know, hearing your speaker twice as loud is not an increase of 3dB

Kelvin

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Please , do tell ?

What should be a goal for them (in decibels)(in watts) ?

Should there, or could there, or will there be an unraveling of this enigma/mystery ?

What will the gain amount in decibels be if you were to add a second speaker (thus doubling SD) or surface area ?
    Last edited by Hic; 06-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #24

Please , do tell ?

What should be a goal for them (in decibels)(in watts) ?

Should there, or could there, or will there be an unraveling of this enigma/mystery ?

What will the gain amount in decibels be if you were to add a second speaker (thus doubling SD) or surface area ?
    Hearing a speaker twice the perceived volume is, if I'm not mistaken, an increase of 10dB

Meaning, if you use a 50 watts amp on your speaker, and it outputs 100dB @ max volume - you'll then need a 500 watts theoretically in order to have your speaker play twice as loud @ max volume

Kelvin

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Is 3 dB equivalent to having 2 speakers?

ie the amount of sound radiated from 1 speaker will be twice as much if a 2nd speaker is transmitting same frequencies. Or do I need 10 speakers all transmitting the same frequencies to achieve a doubling of perceived sound ?

Is output of one eight inch sub (emitting 10 dB)when joined by a second eight inch sub emitting 10 dB ~ putting out twice as much sound? Or 20 dB`s ?

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

We are a little past theory once the surface area of the speaker is considered. Are 2 speakers louder than 1 ?
    How much ? A lil or more than a lil?

I am with you on going from a whisper to a shout , just add a zero (ie 50 to 500).

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Kelvin,
    I have used two amps and two speakers and other than the enclosure being one - half the required size (normal size enclosure)and my sound being slightly cleaner . . . The output was only equivalent to the SD of 1 speaker. It is known as an isobaric - configuration.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Right from text book . . . on decibels

Speakers ?

9. Back To Top    #29

Is 3 dB equivalent to having 2 speakers?

ie the amount of sound radiated from 1 speaker will be twice as much if a 2nd speaker is transmitting same frequencies. Or do I need 10 speakers all transmitting the same frequencies to achieve a doubling of perceived sound ?

Is output of one eight inch sub (emitting 10 dB)when joined by a second eight inch sub emitting 10 dB ~ putting out twice as much sound? Or 20 dB`s ?
    Theoretically... You have 1 speaker with 100 watts available
    Add a second speaker, now you have 2 speakers and 50 watts each (total 100 watts), then you gain 3dB
    Add 100 watts so that each speaker sees 100 watts (total 200 watts), then you gain another 3dB
    So adding radiating surface area will increase loudness but will not give you the perceived sound as being twice as loud...

Kelvin

PS: could be wrong in my math but that's how I understand it

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Now we are getting somewhere !
    1 speaker plus X amount of watts equals X amount of decibels !

Two , four , six speakers with X amount of watts equals X amount of decibels.

To get twice as much ? { add watts? Add speakers? }

If I am hearing 1 1/2 decibels coming from 1 speaker , then add another speaker it allows me to hear how many decibels (all things mirrored)?
    So . . . Watts increase decibels ? Does SD (surface area ) increase decibels ?

One and a half decibels plus three decibels = 4 decibels ?
    Three decibels per speaker ( line array ) ?