Thread: Upholstery/trim adhesives

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Upholstery/trim adhesives

I'm looking to wrap some plastic panels with new material (suede-like) and would like to get your recommendations for which product to use. Since it's a high temp environment, I don't want the adhesive to fail. I don't have a compressor and gun so keep that in mind. I was thinking of using DAP contact cement, but Im not sure how that holds up in heat. The 3M sprays work well, but in high heat I'm concerned they would fail, especially on items in full sun like pillars.

Also, do you rough up the panels with some low grit sandpaper before applying to aid adhesion?

Was looking at this stuff. Seems nice for the price: http://www.yourautotrim.com/imausubl.html

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Upholstery/trim adhesives

3. Back To Top    #3

You may want to get yourself a steamer, even a cheap one,it helps when stretching materials like tweed and faux suedes(it wont hurt the contact cement). Youll also want to get some 3m or other brand wax and grease remover(it helps to get any and all oils and chemicals off plastic), we use landau top adhesive, i think it is by Taylor?(most auto upholstery shops can tell you where to get it. Finally i use 36 grit sand paper to rough up back sides of panels where the materials will wrap around and lay(if you dnnt do this the elastizers in the plastic can cause the glue to just peel right off). i also use 80 grit to rough up the top surface of the panels so the glue will have something to "grab onto". youll also really want to borrow or rent an air compressor(no pancake) and use a decent spray gun from llowes or home depot. the spray gun will allow a finer mist of glue on the material than a brush can do. if you use a brush the glue tends to bleed through the material.so make sure you do some test pieces. do not use spray glue from aerosol can, it does not hold up,trust me.

4. Back To Top    #4

good luck

5. Back To Top    #5

ive used this gun for many years, with no issues. the only time youll clean it out is if you dont plan on using it for a while otherwise try to keep it full(if you dont the glue coagulates and is a pain in the ass to clean out). http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...gun-97855.html. and this is the contact cement. http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=50&SubcatID=9.