1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Marv's Silverado Regular Cab build

Very Nicely done !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
    I'm also going to keep the factory headunit and I found there is a way to manipulate the JL TwK 88 to get a left minus right signal so I'm going to use that to add "proper" rear fill which will be powered by an Alpine mini amp. More pics coming as soon as the TwK 88 arrives and I get started.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

She is gonna be "All That" !

NOW !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Finally got around to trying the Mercury Components @ToNasty sent me. Tweeters are in stock dash top location and this time I used 13 mm Baltic Birch plywood flush mounting plates screwed to Metra 6x9 adapters lined with Sound Skins (gaskets are made from weatherstripping and rubber window seal)

They have about 20 hours of break in and after just basic phase/level matching adjustments I am pretty impressed so far and will do a full review once I get them fully dialed in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3728.JPG 
Views:	742 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	7137

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3704.JPG 
Views:	353 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	7131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3705.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	7132

Name:	IMG_3706.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	7133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3707.JPG 
Views:	801 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	7134

Name:	IMG_3709.JPG 
Views:	821 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	7135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3710.JPG 
Views:	752 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	7136

Name:	IMG_3718.JPG 
Views:	812 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	7138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3719.JPG 
Views:	781 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	7139

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Those look cozy up on the dash. I'm curious to hear your impressions.

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Marv
    Vehicle
    2016 Silverado Regular Cab

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Those look cozy up on the dash. I'm curious to hear your impressions.

It was hard to find info (no manual) and the video I watched was frustrating to say the least with the thick accent of the narrator so I am mostly flying by the seat of my pants without knowing much about these. Here's a short synopsis of my impressions so far with basic crossover/level/phase tuning.

Build quality is top notch imo. Heavy cast basket on the mid (poly cone if I understood the narrator correctly) with spring loaded connectors and nice turned aluminum tweeter housings.

Subjective sound impression with zero eq (I like to initially compare speakers "out of the box" as imo speakers that require a lot of eq for tonality are not necessarily great speakers)..

midrange tonality is very good imo (pretty natural sounding as I like them). I don't get too caught up in midbass output rather I care more about how articulate they are and these are definitely very articulate. The soft dome tweeters compliment the mids very well with nice detail as well as extension and no harshness even in the stock location firing off the windshield (there wasn't a drastic improvement when I mocked them up on top of the dash more on axis)

Overall this is an excellent sounding set of speakers IMO that may not be on the level of some "upper end" speakers but can compete favorably with the likes of AF GS series/similar.

I'll go into more detail once I get a chance to do some more advanced tuning and I'll also be trying the passive crossovers

disclaimer as usual: "I cannot hear what you can hear and you cannot hear what I can hear so our results may differ!"

6. Back To Top    #56
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

How do the soft dome tweeters (edge driven) compare to the dual emission ring radiators ?

7. Back To Top    #57
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

The mids are similar in (looks) to Alpine SPX mids you have ? Is there any comparison you can "subjectively" make ? [ As a rule of thumb, speaker drivers will start beaming a frequency having a wavelength equal to the diameter of the radiating cone. Now, put you hands around your mouth and say something nice to your wife. Not only she, but yourself will notice the sound becomes honky and directional. The same thing happens to the sound from a speaker driver the higher in frequency it goes, and more noticeable the larger the cone diameter. - beaming ]

phase plugs and beaming ?
    Last edited by Hic; 09-22-2019 at 05:18 AM.

9. Back To Top    #59
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

[QUOTE=Mr Marv;4430 I'm going to keep the 13tw5 as well as JL xd700/5v2 to power , I found there is a way to manipulate the JL TwK 88 to get a left minus right signal so I'm going to use that to add "proper" rear fill .[/QUOTE]

Is rear fill even worth bothering "With"?

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Billie Holiday`s 16 most requested songs has 15 monaural recordings and 1 stereo recorded selection (think left minus right)