Thread: who likes the Bang and Olufsen tweeter directional horn/post thingy?

1. Back To Top    #1

who likes the Bang and Olufsen tweeter directional horn/post thingy?

beolab lenses.

Patrick Bateman's reinvigorating the concept over "there" and I figure, thread ideas that interest me should naturally be lifted from the "other" place and brought here.

I'm thinking it's a very strong design to use in car audio, as it may be tweaked to provide a more controlled output, without requiring some huge waveguide. It is exciting the skeptic in me, though...

thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: who likes the Bang and Olufsen tweeter directional horn/post thingy?

I never got onto the horns bandwagon, but his IDOPSIS (sp?) thread was interesting.

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...olab-5-speaker

Bateman's new post is in the one tweeter thread over "there"

I think we could possibly utilize the directional nature of the lenses to act as under-dash horns, with the same "follow" that happens with the normal 'car audio' horns

a simple small post, sticking below the dash bottom at the far sides would maybe be able to combine with the door panel and increase the "virtual driver" width, while limiting other steep peaks from reflections, and give a good image with minimal interference from the center console.

I'd like to know if the midrange dome can drop down to a 500 hz region without having to make a huge lense, maybe it could be "sunk" into the kicks...

4. Back To Top    #4

you can see car application of the lenses here -> http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/car-audio

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

imo, if you're spreading the soundfield 180 degrees, you're also making a whole lot more reflections..

I heard the older version A8 with the B&O set, and I'm not imressed by it.. The grills look like they're pierced with needles, the grills ring, highs were very sharp.. not my thing..

6. Back To Top    #6

cajunner, I don't think you could get to 500 Hz without the lense being huge. here are Sausalito's original Ulysses speakers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giftofsound60.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	1322

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giftofsound50.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	1323

WOOSEY, interesting that you say the grills ringed. there's an interview with the B&O's engineer who designed the system and he pointed out that they had a problem with a seat vibrating @83 Hz. he certainly would have noted vibrating rings. it might also be that with time they would get loose? not that I would expect that for a 6K system.

here's an analisys and review of the BeoLabs 5 by Peter Aczel, aka "The Audio Critic" http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index...Id=34&blogId=1
    Last edited by ABX; 09-05-2013 at 06:46 AM.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I dunno, it seems like their philosophy is that function should follow form

8. Back To Top    #8

if you did sink the lense into a corner, how much would the sides "extend" the horn, as opposed to offering a near reflective surface to fire off of?

I think mating a corner with the Sausalito wave front, might just be the control we're looking for from the application notes.

it would certainly depend on the frequency but using the corner loading scheme, one could do a long stroke dome, perhaps XBL2, that is intrinsically capable of a low fundamental....