Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ampguts?

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: New Ampguts?

Lunar amps seem to have tackled the problem of heatsink cooling with the most advanced thought involved. If one were to make a class D amp with say, 1500 watts output power, in a Lunar chassis they might have a winner. the DigiPower (?) line with built-in small fans looks like it's not enough cooling to me, in a hot trunk in the summer.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    Lunar amps seem to have tackled the problem of heatsink cooling with the most advanced thought involved. If one were to make a class D amp with say, 1500 watts output power, in a Lunar chassis they might have a winner. the DigiPower (?) line with built-in small fans looks like it's not enough cooling to me, in a hot trunk in the summer.

If JL did not come through for me when my 500/5 blew up I was going to have Lunar build me a 3 amp in one chassis in one long extrusion... Always thought they were cool.

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    In a design where the cooling was basically designed by someone saying "Hey, I think we need to toss a fan up in this bitch." Sucking the hot air out is better because it more evenly pulls the cool air in as opposed to just blowing a patch of cool air on something.
    I work in pro A/V field and ALL of our frames suck the air thru the frame, they are designed from the ground up with that in mind.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Water can cool up to 10 times better than air, can you circulate water through the frame without worrying about electrical stuff becoming wet ?

Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #35

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    If JL did not come through for me when my 500/5 blew up I was going to have Lunar build me a 3 amp in one chassis in one long extrusion... Always thought they were cool.
    it's a "sort of" gimmick, when you consider how heat management in a car is necessary on class AB product, but with the new advanced switching designs, it's probably not as imperative.

The Peavey circuit, IPR, I think is the series, claimed to stay cool even at low impedance and high current through the chassis. If that's what optimized class D is coming to, the Lunar model might not be working as the extrusion costs and added complexity add beans to a bean counter's margins.

Thermal runaway might no longer be a functional deterrent to decreasing the chassis mass, for dissipative purposes.

When they can pull 2000 watts out of a paperback, and you can stuff it under the carpet with no ill effects, things will be peachy..

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    I work in pro A/V field and ALL of our frames suck the air thru the frame, they are designed from the ground up with that in mind.
    There's a couple pushers out there but they are far between... the crown series I mentioned, even though the fan is sammiched, the last thing the air hits is the heat-sinks, so technically, it is a pusher.

7. Back To Top    #37

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Water can cool up to 10 times better than air, can you circulate water through the frame without worrying about electrical stuff becoming wet ?

No, we could not use water in out design.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Newer designs don't get as hot as the older designs did [A,AB,etc..,]
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

Phoenix Gold Ti1600.5

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

I love that amp.... Never used it, already love it... Connections on one side, Winning.