Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting ready for Woodward, a '70 Chevelle build log

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: Getting ready for Woodward, a '70 Chevelle build log

Little update:

After the car left, it went to a "custom" shop for some other work, which included:

Stripping all the black vinyl off the parts I built and then wrapping the parts (badly) with a tan-ish faux-leather.
    Burned out the truck release solenoid.
    Burned out the trunk output of the alarm.
    Lost the set screws from 3 fuse holders and tried to solder the 1/0 into them.
    Installed Fesler door panels and moved the speakers to the doors (which included some other issues)
    The door inside handle gets relocated with these door panels, and you couldn't open the door from inside the car.
    Damaged the dash bezel by overtightening random screws in place of the originals.
    Did a color change on the interior. The work was unsatisfactory.
    Added a Flaming River push to start system, which they hacked in to the existing alarm install.
    Still didn't add a temperature control for the radiator fan, even tho they said they did.
    Pinched the Stinger 8000 series RCA's and 2 runs of speaker wires when they bolted in the new power seats.

All in all, about $4000 to fix everything they messed up.

Originally he was going to have me do the A/C install, but he chose to have (what I believe is the same place) do the install.
    I specifically told him to use the Restomod Air kit because it wouldn't need to run lines through the passenger kickpanel (where I put the mid woofers). I included part numbers for EVERYTHING and emailed it to him TWICE. They clipped the corner of the kick panels I built (with what looked like tin snips) and managed to damage one of the Focal Expert 3-way mid woofers and replaced it with a Focal Kevlar mid. Sigh.

The wiring in this car is so bad, the only way I would consider fixing it would be to remove ALL of the wiring in the car and replacing the whole harness with like an American Autowire harness and reinstall everything else.

It's pretty sad.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Now THAT must suck knowing some hack job tore your work to shreds.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Now THAT must suck knowing some hack job tore your work to shreds.

Ge0
    It really does. I feel like someone molested my kid. There's a ton wrong with this thing, but I really don't want to touch it again, for any amount of money.

Jay

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

What was the owner's reasoning to go to this other "shop"?
    Did they have previous experience with the shop and trusted them?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

5. Back To Top    #25
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

He wanted a push to start system installed, and he was having some electrical work done that we don't do. I recommended against the aftermarket PTS setup because I hadn't seen one yet that I would consider reliable. They probably convinced him they could do a lot of stuff better than they could. He gets screwed by just about everyone he takes his cars to but me, but I charge accordingly. So, I don't know what his motivation was exactly, but I hope he learned his lesson. But he also has gobs of money so probably not.

Jay