Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Afghan Vet's 2013 GBS BRZ

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Rich

Re: Afghan Vet's 2013 GBS BRZ

Thanks Jason! You just gave me some ideas for a sub that I kind of brushed off.

I don't think I am going to make the meet. I normally work Saturdays and I just got back from a 3 week vacation, I need to settle in and get some stuff done around the house. I also need to get going with changes I want to make to the system, I have gone backwards since the last meet.

If you have a spring meet I will be there for sure.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
    purty car.

are you happy with the sound now?

thank-you for your service.
    Thanks! Interestingly, I recently went to a comp, tied for 1st (against a very successful competitor), then started on a new tune. I was over at a buddy's house earlier today 'fine tuning' the tune.....I'm pretty happy with it!

Thank you for mentioning my service!

Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    Thanks Jason! You just gave me some ideas for a sub that I kind of brushed off.

I don't think I am going to make the meet. I normally work Saturdays and I just got back from a 3 week vacation, I need to settle in and get some stuff done around the house. I also need to get going with changes I want to make to the system, I have gone backwards since the last meet.

If you have a spring meet I will be there for sure.
    Wanted to see and hear the snotrocket again, but I'll have to wait until Spring :thumb:

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

Wow, that looks great. I'm also wanting the BRZ pretty bad.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

It's no Honda, but it'll do

It sounded awesome the last time I heard it. I can't wait to see it again in a couple of weeks.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    It's no Honda, but it'll do

It sounded awesome the last time I heard it. I can't wait to see it again in a couple of weeks.
    Are you going to just stand next to it and look at it, or are you gonna listen to it

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I can't even begin to tell you how bad I want one of those cars.
    Same here.
    Nick

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

They are definitely sweet. The only reasons I went with the Mazdaspeed 3 over it (I looked at and test-drove both) was the cargo space and the colder climate up here in the northeast (snow is no fun in a light RWD car...lessons learned from owning a 300ZX).

The car and the install look amazing. I can't wait to check out this monster in September. Maybe I'll have a complete instal too by then ...

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

They are definitely sweet. The only reasons I went with the Mazdaspeed 3 over it (I looked at and test-drove both) was the cargo space and the colder climate up here in the northeast (snow is no fun in a light RWD car...lessons learned from owning a 300ZX).

The car and the install look amazing. I can't wait to check out this monster in September. Maybe I'll have a complete instal too by then ...

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Another small update...........

I had the opportunity to spend the day with Mark Worrell to complete a couple items that have been pending since the recent addition of the front sub. I appreciate the time he gave up on a beautiful Saturday, and I had a great time hanging out with him (sitting in the shade beside the Del Sol while he did the 'hard stuff' ).

A quick (I'm going to try) word of how I got to this point.

• I was preparing for the review of the Illusion Audio sub, and I tried it up front while running the 2 IB subs in the rear.
    • I put the Onyx 10 in the old box that I had and ran it in the floor board for a few weeks
    • I got together with Mark to determine what sub would work the best for front sub + rear sub - JL Audio TW3 10"
    • Front sub installed with rear subs running

I went to a comp in SC and played around with the tune with Matt R. He made one of those Matt statements that I am getting accustomed to. "Why are you running the rear subs if you can get the front sub to do everything you want it to do? You are not getting 20-25 hz in the current install with the subs, you are getting rattles, you could loose 60 pounds of weight out of the rear of the car, you can gain back your trunk, and you can put down the rear seats again. You can simplify the system with only one sub.......all bass up front, and no phase issues"

This made a lot of sense to me (I'm sure some out there would argue against this, and that is fine), just like taking out the 6to8 and using the P99 for processing (which I is a decision I am extremely happy with).

So.....I ran a few weeks without the rear subs hooked up, and connected the front sub to the 200.4 (lots of power at 2ohm). Through that period of evaluation, I perceived that the front sub satisfied my bass 'needs' for 99% of music that I played. John (minibox) was in agreement with me that the 10" JL sub up front was more than adequate for most of the material he heard played on it. Between my impressions and John's feedback, that was 'good enough' for me. I asked to get together with Mark and his sledge (he ended up not needing to use it )

Here are a few pics:

We placed these items on a bathroom scale along with the two subs, and it equated to about 58 pounds - Matt was extremely close with his estimate.

Mark also brought out the O-Scope to level match the gains on the amps after I had switched things around. Another 'perceived' positive of deep sixing the rear subs, I was able to maximize my wattage on all of my drivers again. I had changed things around to add the front sub to the system, so I am back to where I was.

With the HU on max unclipped (61/62 on the volume knob), these are the voltages at the representative frequencies

-5db tracks

Tweeter = 23 volts @ 8k (10k @ 6db slope)
    Mid Range = 40 volts @ 1k
    Mid Bass = 40.7 volts @ 100 hz

-10 db track

Subwoofer = 60.2 volts @ 40 hz

We then put the car on the RTA, and it was pretty good based on what John and I did last weekend. There were a few tweaks that we completed, but not much.

It will be fun to meet up with folks at the September 7th meet who may have been following this thread to get their feedback. I'm very happy with the sound, and because it is my car, that is what matters in the end

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Wicked build for a wicked car. I hope my build turns out half this awesome.