Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEVLHED's 2013 Ford Flex SEL (non Sony) audio build :)

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

LEVLHED's 2013 Ford Flex SEL (non Sony) audio build :)

Yes, inspired by Lanson's......

It would have been cool if I started this thread weeks ago when I started my upgrade, but oh well....I will post up some pics and explain what I did over the course of the next few days-ish.

for now

I (finally) got a new vehicle and decided to upgrade the sound in it. It ended up being a significant upgrade and project. My goals were to keep the factory deck with Sync intact to maintain all of the functionality and to keep the whole install as "stock" looking as reasonable. Also, I was unable/unwilling to give up cargo space for a traditional sub box. I work as a mobile wedding dj and need all of the available space for hauling my equipment (it just barely fits with all the seats down!)

I was leaning more towards the SQ side of the spectrum vs. SPL.....not after a competition level system, but I was looking for a significant upgrade over the existing non-Sony "premium" system.

My first instinct was to DIY the whole thing, but the realities of my schedule, questionable skills, and dismal tool selection made that not really viable.

After shopping around the local "pro" car audio shops (all two of them) I ended up getting hooked up with a friend of a friend who works out of his garage. This ended up being exactly the dude I was looking for! He does excellent work (no shortcuts) and since he's not a equipment dealer/etc he was A-OK with installing what ever I wanted/bought on my own. The "pro" shops all wanted me to buy what they were selling, at full retail price no less...screw that! I'm not really a "retail" kinda guy. hah

I did a lot of research and came up with a system I wanted that met my design goals. Then set out to find deals on all the equipment.

The heart of the system is a JBL MS-8 processor. I used a few of the amp channels from that (center and rear doors) as well as an AlpinePDX F-4 100w x 4 amp for the front doors/tweets.
    The subs are a pair of Kicker Hideaway under-seat powered jobbies.

Here's a pdf diagram of the system/equipment/layout of what I came up with.
    2013FlexStereoInstall-v5.pdf

As of right now I have my car back and everything is installed. Unfortunately we discovered when I went to pick it up on Saturday that the dude I bought the MS-8 from forgot to send the little RF remote. To use the MS8 you have to run through the set up process first. You can't run the setup without the remote!! So right now I have NO SOUND until the guy sends me the stinkin remote. I haven't even heard the system yet. Bummer, yes. He was supposed to send the remote out yesterday, but he hasn't replied to my emails asking for confirmation that he actually did. So I don't know when I'm going to hear what I've put together yet.

more later

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

Re: LEVLHED's 2013 Ford Flex SEL (non Sony) audio build :)

80mil sound deadener from Knu installed in all four doors, layer on the inside and outside..

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

The Kicker HS8-11 Hideaways ended up going in the third row passenger foot area. I needed the space under the front seats for the MS8 and Alpine amp. Not enough room under the back seats. I decided since I will very rarely have any passengers in the "way back" I could get away with them there and just flip them over if/when there are people riding back there...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

4 gauge power run (also 4 gauge ground)

All wire connections are soldered...and there was more than a few in this set up...

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

MS8 mounted to a board with some deadening applied. Board is under the carpet under the drivers seat. (Alpine similarly mounted under passenger seat)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

Upgraded Hertz Audio ECX-87 center vs. factory center

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

Still no remote for the MS-8 so I'm stuck. Can't do anything but ponder in silence.

I've got a question about roughly were I should set the gains on the Alpine PDX-F4 for the tweeters.
    I'm running them active off the MS8 and powered by the Alpine. I believe they are rated for 60w max/ 30w RMS each. The Alpine is going to put out at least 100w RMS per channel. I took a look at the markings on the gain pots but they don't tell me much.

Tweeters are located in the factory position.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

That looks great!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2013 Ford Flex SEL

Thank you! I can't take credit for the install work though, just the spec and design. Brian @ Dirt Floor Customs is downright meticulous.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Damn good. Thanks for coming over here. Fuck DIYMA and Ant. (raise glass of beer)