Thread: astrochex first ever build - MINI Cooper S

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

astrochex first ever build - MINI Cooper S

So here we go, a rookie build log.

I've done some deadening already, with more to come. Equipment selection was guided by deals on what I thought would function well. As you will see, that will give me some challenges in the amplifier installation I could have avoided with more patience and resources. This will be a function over form install. My goal is for it to at least be clean.

I look forward to questions and recommendations, because I know I have not asked enough.

The car, 2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition (Astro Black color)

The gear

The environment

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: astrochex first ever build - MINI Cooper S

Good luck chex, looks like you have got a good start with your equipment! Just don't skimp on the deadening/ sealing of doors......trust me this is something you'll want to get right the first time, not something you'll want to revisit, I promise!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Nice car! We had a Pioneer company demo-car like that.. No S haha.. just a 1.6

I can recommend placing the tweeters up higher than the stock locations if you want a high and wide stage

When is the build gonna start?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Good luck chex, looks like you have got a good start with your equipment! Just don't skimp on the deadening/ sealing of doors......trust me this is something you'll want to get right the first time, not something you'll want to revisit, I promise!
    I've had the door panels off a number of times already so that is actually a part I am very comfortable dealing with. I've deadened the door panel, but I still want to add closed cell foam to the door panels to reduce rattling and provide some noise blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by WOOSEY View Post
    Nice car! We had a Pioneer company demo-car like that.. No S haha.. just a 1.6

I can recommend placing the tweeters up higher than the stock locations if you want a high and wide stage

When is the build gonna start?
    I am sticking with OEM locations for now. I have minimal tools and this is my DD so I need to minimize downtime. A plus one would be a-pillar locations. Interestingly, the Genesis MINI demo car had switch that would change the tweeter output from OEM door to kick panels locations.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice looking ride. Glenn used to have one so he might could toss in a few pointers.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Sweet car and sweet equipment. I wanna see how this pans out.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Remember with that 9877 that it comes lit up stock to do L=R for crossover, etc.. you want L/R and it opens up a gamut of possibilities.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle

An update from 2 years ago, lol.

I have finally started deadening my MCS which is particularly vibration prone due to an aftermarket motormount and worn out shocks. I got a deal on 11 sheets of damplifier Pro, which happened to be the black. That motormount turned out to be a POS that was since replaced with a sweet unit.

I've only completed the hatch and the front wheel wells, but already I have felt a difference. I've used one and a half sheets so far. DP is really easy to work with. Initially, I used a utility knife to cut the material, but I switched to kitchen shears to speed up the process. The shears worked great, it is a snap to create complex shapes to fit complex spaces. I am glad to have so much more material to work with. I see how this can become an obsession.

I am thrilled with the results. It feels like a different car. My rearview mirror does not vibrate any more nor does the extensive plastic in the interior. I am going to tell my MINI peeps about DP since many do suffer the same rattle maladies that I used to. This effort has taken less than 3 sheets.

Doors and rear wheel wells are next.

The hatch with panel removed.

Hatch after cleaning with mineral spirits. The cream colored areas had some kind of fiber board that peeled off easily.

Left side hatch DP (single layer). Not the prettiest or most thorough, but enough to get the job done. I used DP scraps on the hatch panel. I figured it was not a bad idea.

Right side hatch DP (single layer).

Left side front wheel well before cleaning. The solid aftermarket motormount is the black triangular thing (right of the spring) that you can only see a part of.

Left side front wheel well with 2 layers DP. I put it in four locations. The first one is near the motormount, in the pic its covered with heat reflective tape. The half-moon shaped region was workable because it was smooth. More tape on selected edges for insurance. The other two locations are on the left, the flat-black regions. The DP was easy to cut with kitchen shears. It took more time to make the paper templates. That structure ties into the upper shock mount, if I was faster I would have added more DP.

Right side front wheel well with 2 layers DP in the mirrored locations as the right side. The templates I made for the right worked also for the left side.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle

Another update from the past.

Got my next deadening fix by doing the rear wheelwells. Was more effort than the fronts with more area and difficult access angles. I did notice a further improvement in dampening, the car being a little smoother than before.

Passenger side after cleaning:

Looking aft/up

Looking forward/up

Passenger side with single layer of DP:

Looking forward

Looking aft/up

I put three layers of DP above the shock because thats what it took to pass the knock test. The third layer is more like a patch.

Drivers side with single layer of DP:

Looking forward/up. The gas filler tube is the black thingy.

Looking aft/up

Same layup as the passenger side, I put three layers of DP to pass the knock test.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle

And another past update.

Alright, I completed the doors. In total, I used 9 sheets of the DP on the car. I have two left but I am letting my dad use them on his Focus. I've got a bunch of scrap that I will use on the door panels and interior plastic.

Passenger side door.

Drivers side door with the panel removed and cleaned. I left the factory dampener on.

Drivers side with a single layer of DP. I learned that, although DP fits behind the crash bar, its really difficult to install a sheet behind it. On the passenger side I went with top and bottom sheets, a much easier process.

Passengers side with a single layer of DP. I tried to cover as much area as possible. I guesstimate I covered at least 80% of the possible outer door skins.

Forward on the passenger door.

Aft on the passenger door.