Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Router Table build

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Router Table build

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavel View Post
    Right now each lift has a Porter Cable 7518 in them, but they will have to change when I get to Italy and I'll need to pick up son 240v 50hz routers, blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why not get a voltage/frequency converter and use the tools you already have?

2. Back To Top    #22
    DIYMA Dropout
    Real Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    Jetta SW, Torino, F-150

Quote Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
    Why not get a voltage/frequency converter and use the tools you already have?
    I've been researching this for months and I am getting some pretty varied results. Nearly everything I've found said that you cant run a 60hz motor on a 50hz system without causing premature or immediate failure of the device... other info said that it would just spin slower but be fine. The issue I've ran into with voltage and frequency converters is that the amperage draw of my equipment is 7.5 to 15 amps... which puts me in a category of equipment that would ultimately cost me as much to purchase as it would to just replace the tool with Italian spec stuff instead... Perhaps I'm overthinking it or just haven't landed on a good solution just yet, but this has been weighing on me heavily. I'd virtually have to leave $15K in power tools behind to sit in storage if i don't find a solution... if I take them and cant find a solution, then I would have to store and move them around for 3 years, plus those two long boat rides lol... if you have any info on anything that would help, please weigh in!! I am in need of help!
    I make the things that go bump in the night...

3. Back To Top    #23

Step down transformers are relatively cheap, it's the frequency that's a little tougher. Most of your tools should be fine at 50hz. They will run slower and will draw more current which means they'll run hotter but unless under a heavy load for extended periods of time it shouldn't be an issue. Also look at the tags on your tools, about half of mine say 50/60hz on them. The cheapest solution is probably to buy a generator and send it over with your tools. You could also buy a generator head and use a large 220v/50hz motor to power it if you're looking for something quieter.