Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Premium Sound System for a Premium Car, (it only took 20 years for her to get it).

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

A Premium Sound System for a Premium Car, (it only took 20 years for her to get it).

I've got a 93 Cadillac Eldorado Sports Coupe, I've owned her for about 2 1/2 years now and finally have the funds to giver her a proper system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0103.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	929

Name:	DSCF0112.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	930

Name:	DSCF0109.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	931

Unfortunately the prior owner was a real winner and "tried" to "upgrade" the factory system by which I mean he got the cheapest HU possible and wired it to the factory speakers. He also did some real "class A" install work by hacking the factory harness and breaking tabs on the door skins. I don't know what it is with people wanting to install a stereo but choosing to do it in the most ass way possible. Anyways...

I have some components lying around from a earlier failed all Nakamichi build (I worked at a high end car audio shop in high shcool and I picked up some sweet stuff on deep discount when tweeter bought us and shut us down.). I have a PA-2002 2-channel amp but I have been unable to find the 4 channel PA-2004 for a fair price (600-1000 is insane for a 10 year old amp). So I've decided to ditch the all Nak idea and get a Sounstream REF5.1000, she's got the build quality, the specs, and the look I want. I've aslo been thinking about getting a AudioControl DQS or DQSX for processing but after installing the "new" HU I'm not so sure.

Speakers:
    1 pair of Nakamichi SP-C525 Coaxials
    1 pair of Nakamichi SP-C692 Coaxials
    2 Nakamichi SP-W104's (think I may only use one)

I installed the Coaxials about a year ago cause i couldn't stand the horrid sound from the factory speakers. The sound improved but the after market HU didn't exactly sound like heaven and a single din unit in a double din slot is a crime punishable by death in my eyes. So after some real digging and luck I found a Pioneer FH-P500oMP double din. CD and Cassette, Time Align, 13 Band EQ, 6 channel pre outs (only 2.5V but for a HU from 2004/5 I'm not gonna bitch) Front and Rear High Pass Filters, Low Pass For Sub's, ect.

this is what the "pro" went with.

Name:	DEH-2000MP_main_lrg.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	932

And I replaced that with this.

So I get the console trim removed and pull the old radio out and see exactly how bad this guys install skills were. Sorry no picks (I'll do a recap when I get my amp and do the full install and show exactly all the shit I had to fix.) He hacked the fuck out of the factory radio harness and the worst part is aroud this time caddy was using radios that had a 3-4 inch pig tail that mount to the left side for power and audio and the other for the power antenna controls.

You can make an adapter from this in ten seconds.

Name:	$T2eC16R,!ygE9s7HJEk)BRT1,UUSo!~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	928

So after attempting to repair the factory harness and failing due to the fact that he hacked the wires pretty close to the connector I decided to just make due for now and take a harness from a 92-95 Cadillac from the salvage and use butt splices to fix this moron's "top notch" work. He also did some "magic with the power antenna which is why its fried so I need to get a replacement (also not hard either salvage or after market)

I wired up the radio and finished installing it it definitely looks better than that cheap single din floating in the middle of the dash did and it sound light years better than it as well.

I'll post some picks of how the new HU looks in the car and I'll post picks of the hack job when I open it up later in august to fix it.
    Last edited by Hi-FiDelity; 08-01-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: it's FH-P5000MP not 500

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Re: A Premium Sound System for a Premium Car, (it only took 20 years for her to get i

Sometimes you have to fix the foundation before you can pretty it up.

Looking forward to more updates.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: A Premium Sound System for a Premium Car, (it only took 20 years for her to get i

Cool car! waiting to see more myself

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Interested to see how this one plays out...
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5

I always liked the looks of the Eldorado SC, although at the other end of the pond.
    Nick

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Sometimes you have to fix the foundation before you can pretty it up.
    Yeah she's mechanically and physically solid but has a couple of cosmetic issues I need to resolve (i.e a little bit of surface rust). As much of a pain as some of this is I not only like this hobby but I really like the car.

Quote Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
    I always liked the looks of the Eldorado SC, although at the other end of the pond.
    She's quite the looker most people are surprised it's almost 21 years old when they see it. I also like that despite how big and plush the car is it's got the heart of a muscle car car under the hood and it's not afraid to use it.

Ok after finishing some stuff around the house I took a few snapshots of the head unit in it's new home.

Name:	DSCF0445.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	936

Name:	DSCF0446.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	937

Name:	DSCF0444.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	935

Name:	DSCF0447.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	938

Name:	DSCF0448.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	934
    Last edited by Hi-FiDelity; 08-01-2013 at 11:59 AM.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is that an overseas HU with the volume knob off to the right like that?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Is that an overseas HU with the volume knob off to the right like that?
    Surprisingly no, Pioneer did that from time to time from what I've seen. The FH-P5000MP was sold in japan as well and it could have been due to the fact that Pio wasn't sure in it's success sate side that they just imported JDM units to cut cost. This HU also bombed in the market lasting from 05-07 and you could only get it a handful of specialty shops.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Does that headunit have a cassette deck? I spy a door.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

IT DOES! I see the dubly logo!