Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1951 GMC Pickup

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    2018 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS

Re: 1951 GMC Pickup

Interesting, will have to do some research.

The other way to think of it is that it took 65 years to get this way. Now that it is being garaged and only driven on nice days maybe there's no need to worry about the rust getting too far. I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    That truck rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It will soon.....it will soon.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Badass!

4. Back To Top    #24

The "fake" patina's that I've seen airbrushed always look fake IMHO.

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by Rockinridgeline View Post
    Interesting, will have to do some research.

The other way to think of it is that it took 65 years to get this way. Now that it is being garaged and only driven on nice days maybe there's no need to worry about the rust getting too far. I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    that's possible, but if you look at it another way.......................lol..

you arrested the further development of pitting rust, by this "garage-kept" period the truck is now luxuriating in. But as soon as there is a blip, the truck is outdoors again. Not saying you'll necessarily have a blip, but the odds are pretty good that a blip is just around the corner, so some kind of insurance is necessary.

The conversion of rust, is something we (cajun peeps) have to do on a regular basis, as we're always two steps from a salty sea. The brand EnRust, was one of the first really successful converters, it's like a milk going on, nice and white, and it turns in the presence of iron oxide, into a deep, dark bluish black. Most of the others do the same, except for those with pigments in the primer, which can be hit or miss. I've used some red colored converter and it worked a charm, so...

but using this stuff is just like using rust remover and throwing primer on, so it's not really necessary as a method, as the old "acid and scrub" technique clears off the oxides, and the primer stops the rust development.

I was looking at the truck as a moment in time, and to preserve it, it would have to be an artificial proof, since the original active rust is simply slowed by garage environs, and being able to use the truck in any capacity, just made sense to me to return it to an inactive state of corrosion.

It's an interesting idea, I'm not sure has even been attempted, but everyone seems to agree that the "tina" is the most interesting part of the equation, as it sits is just more approachable in comparison to some restored stock that has gotten the white glove treatment.

What I was suggesting is to secretly submerge the truck into a forgery condition, and modern paint science protects as well as possibly makes the "tina" even more likable, I wonder what a custom job like that would be worth, in a cost comparison with a normal "return to original" kind of work...

you could do red oxide colors, where the shading goes from an "active" orange, to a deep burnt umber, as a optical illusion, sort of like when the candy-apple reds used to fade into black, in the mid-eighties. Lacquer in reds, was the go-to but Imron metallics changed some of that, I had a car done up in charcoal gray Imron that was pretty nice, haha...

anyways, this idea of "stopping the wheels of time" by forgery, is certainly intriguing enough, and probably would require someone with technical mastery of the reproduction, sometimes even more rare to find than an artist to render an idea, is to find an artist to render the copy of an idea, intact.

It's probably not very often one finds a vehicle in such a state of gradual disrepair, that one would want to preserve it? At least, that's what I get out of it.

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by slade1274 View Post
    The "fake" patina's that I've seen airbrushed always look fake IMHO.

it seemed like a novel enough idea, but I don't get out much, haha...

so not only have you seen fake patina, but you've never been impressed by it when attempted. That might be like me saying I've seen a bunch of air-brushed swamp scenes on the tailgates of pickups, but never saw one I'd want on my truck...

7. Back To Top    #27

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pat...r-aerosol.html

You got that, but personally I would just throw a satin clear over it.

8. Back To Top    #28

Quote Originally Posted by Kornnut View Post

seems like that stuff you linked is basically a clear coat too.

they say it provides 12 months of protection, I wonder if that is including outdoor, uncovered parking.

and I tend to keep things for much longer time frames, someone could likely be happy with the truck for just a couple of years, then trade it off for a Jeep crawler or pair of Honda Gold Wing bikes, or maybe a nice boat, motor and trailer.

It's interesting that the vehicle on the can's image, is much like the truck. Nice find, btw!

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Kornnut View Post

Thanks for the link!

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle

Got amps, processor and HU roughed in. Also mounted a set of seat belts.

Preview of seats with custom frames and sculpted foam .

Dropped off at upholstery shop and got a pic of the leather hides. Perfect shade to go with the patina.