Thread: 1951 GMC Pickup

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    2018 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS

Re: 1951 GMC Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by slade1274 View Post
    Love it. Want same thing with a 68 (ish) body.
    First truck that I took her to look at was a 68 chevy. Guy had a brute of a big block in it. He thought that it would impress her to jump in, fire it up, and jam the throttle a couple of times. She said it was too loud and too shiny and lost interest, LOL. I wanted the big block!!! I like all the old truck body styles from the 40's all the way through until about 1972 on a couple of styles. I like the 70's era C-10's too!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

What a fantastic truck!

Your wife has great taste in classic vehicles. I love all the choices you both made.

That is truly a badass cruiser.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle

I like to think her taste in men is outstanding as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Rockinridgeline View Post
    I like to think her taste in men is outstanding as well

Champagne taste, but beer budget?

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle

Rough and rusty on the surface but solid and dependable underneath, Lol.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
    damn you all.. don't repaint it, leave as is.. gives it more character.. Nice Ride..
    or, someone really talented could convert all that fine surface rust into a primer then repaint it with the exact duplicate "rust color" paint, so the metal is preserved along with the 'tina.

might take a skilled airbrush operator, but I've seen tail gates all painted up with various scenes, I think it would be even more arresting than going with show car polish, as a build target.

I'm not sure if there's a club or whatever, but in a perfect world, I think there's a place for preserving the character of something like that, that could be the new retro or fad or something.

Like, people are used to builds that have 3 cans deep hand rubbed lacquer, flawless-ness, on display but something authentic yet not in active oxidation, sort of like when people artificially age furniture, you see that in Ethan Allen furnishings a lot....

maybe I'm just rambling because I like this thread, it's aspiration- but without the pretensions that can sometimes leak through the various veneers...

or rambling just to ramble, not really sure?

anyways, nice work and thanks for the introspective tweak, then.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Tony
    Vehicle

I've had people suggest that we clear over everything to prevent further rust, but I've seen some people in the interwebz say that the rust would continue even if it were cleared? Seems to me like oxidation can't continue if oxygen isn't getting to the bare metal? Beyond my pay grade.

I need to get a couple of good pictures of the current state. We have made some changes to the exterior to honor my wife's grandfather. I'll just leave it at that until I can get it out of the pole barn and take a few pictures.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

That truck rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

9. Back To Top    #19

you can't glaze over the real surface, it'll just continue rusting and make blistering a nightmare.

there's rust converters that work pretty darn well, if you want to retain that texture but they turn everything blackish purple.

stopping further oxidation, creating a blank canvas of thin primer, then refinishing with a skilled "forgery" of the real patina, seems like something interesting and authentic, maybe sort of homogenizing the various actual knocks and deeper scoring into the finish with a slightly more aesthetic refurbish.

it'd have to be a real work of art, though. That particular shading of sun fade isn't for the amateur hand, and incorporating that sandpaper texture into the relief, would have to be an optical illusion, like I say, a real work of art.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

People who use old rusty gates and other stuff for home art us a rust neutralizer to stop the growth but not remove it. They than cover it with a sealer of some sort.