Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car, need low priced upgrade for now (just spent money on car!)

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2017 Subaru WRX

New car, need low priced upgrade for now (just spent money on car!)

Hello,

I just bought a 2017 Subaru wrx, sound system is both quiet and bad.

I want to upgrade it immediately for under a grand, making sure to have it professionally wired up so I can upgrade to higher quality in the future.

Thus far I put inPioneer TS-A1606C A-Series 6.5" components in the front doors/tweeters in the dash spots

I also sound deadened the inner and outer skin (passenger side only thus far, wanted to compare. will be doing driver's side asap!)

(somehow in the process, drivers controls won't put the passenger front window down. everything else works. I messed with driver's plug below the window switches, no help, have to do passenger side now, but if someone knows this one pipe up please... anyways back to...)

I'm not totally sure what next. Of course there's no low bass at all, and the speakers are all underpowered by the stock HU. I'm between HU and Sub next, then amp next paycheck. (i try not to buy toys on credit, slippery slope that).

HU I'm thinking the Pioneer 5800 BHS. It runs $300 (plus maestro plus ebrake disable, plus install, so lets call it a little over 5). This would add all the UI features that Subaru's interface...fails at miserably. It's only "50x4" in power, 14x4 in real RMS, likely lower than the stock...

AMP: I have no real idea. For simplicity there's a pioneer 5 channel "2000 watt" (in quotes not real i'm sure) for a little over 300. Of course I'd love the JL 900x4 in classifieds, but 600 is too high right now, still need some bass!

Sub: Thinking a corner loaded thin box and a shallow subwoofer. 8 or 10", probably 10. I just want some bass at all right now. Again, no idea on brands aside from standard consumer brands.

Reading about stuff double what I want to pay right now will help in the future, when I replace these originals and move this system to the Wife's car

SO. I'm sure most of you don't...follow or care about low end audio, but any advice if someone Does have any would be much appreciated.

I don't need much more volume, just want it to sound better. My hearing's not that great, and ear's been ringing for 35 years, very high end would be lost on me, but I'll still want to upgrade later, but need it to not be Dismal asap.

Another consideration is difficulty of install, namely, if they're in there hooking up the HU, would THAT be the time to have them rerun the speakers and leads for the sub, should I definitely do those 2 together? Am I a fool/making it a ton more difficult by not just doing the 3 at once (and break my "don't use credit for toys!" rule)?

Anyway, thanks for reading, or for any help. Even if it's to say "pioneer sucks, get x"

--Alex

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2017 Subaru WRX

Re: New car, need low priced upgrade for now (just spent money on car!)

I'm almost self-talked into the JL 900/5, would kill 2 birds (amp and sub amp) and would be ONE piece I wouldn't need to pitch later (wife doesn't care about having any of this anyway)...

And one rarely regrets getting the best. (not that this is the Best, but best I'm going to do probably)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2017 Subaru WRX

Hmm, the http://www.jlaudio.com/xd700-5v2-car...plifiers-98606
    xd500-5v2 costs the same, less power but still plenty for me, and new with warranty... or stick with a $300 amp.

SO many choices. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

4. Back To Top    #4

If I were you, I'd buy what I really wanted.

For eg., buy your 5 channels amp (HD or XD) and leave the subwoofer out for now.
    When you have money, buy the subwoofer you want (leaves you some time to do some research)

Been at the game for a while and it usually cost me more money if I don't get what I really wanted in first place then getting it a few years later anyway

Kelvin

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2017 Subaru WRX

Yes, but it's bad Now! Lol. Yah, more I look, more I find I'm pretty set on a jl amp (unless someone leads me elsewhere). Maybe I'll hold off on HU for now and do amp /sub.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

I might suggest looking at the soundstream RN5.2000D. Having some experience with the reference line it replaces they seem to offer good specs for a decent price. http://www.woofersetc.com/c-3-amplif...amplifier.html

Though I will say I do agree with going with your gut, in the end you need to be pleased with the sound and the gear.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-JAD900.5.html is a solid amp, it's what i'm running now in my fit. that soundstream linked above would be really nice too. i actually had plans of picking up that exact amp but they took forever to get it released. i really like the controls on top and more importantly, all connections on the same end.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

amp the stock speakers. They really arent that bad. Add a sub. Keep the stock HU (Unless you need to control a DSP no other way - all that integrated crap is expensive to aftermarket). Add some deadening/absorption. Add a sub. Easy peasy.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
    amp the stock speakers. They really arent that bad. Add a sub. Keep the stock HU (Unless you need to control a DSP no other way - all that integrated crap is expensive to aftermarket). Add some deadening/absorption. Add a sub. Easy peasy.
    Speakers are still clarion OEMs correct?

Even if you go full aftermarket I would say keep the factory HU, the kind of integration they have these days is insane.

Also AudioControls line of amps is supposedly rather impressive, have not heard them myself but you may want to look into them.
    Last edited by Hi-FiDelity; 07-02-2016 at 11:05 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2017 Subaru WRX

Looks nice, good reviews (the NVX). Doesn't have speaker level inputs so would require a loc or new HU, can't do my staged install. On the positive side though, this PLUS the HU is still the same price as the JL lol

Thanks
    Last edited by awoodby; 07-03-2016 at 11:25 AM.