Thread: Hoping someone can help me find an FM antenna adapter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Hoping someone can help me find an FM antenna adapter

I am trying to get FM radio sorted through the Nexus, which involves me running an RTL2832U dongle, as expected the antenna that came with it is garbage in the car. So I am trying to find an adapter to allow me to plug the stock antenna into the USB dongle. But, while I can figure out that the stock antenna is an ISO connector... pictures 1 and 2 below, ignore the piece in the 2nd picture that says "What is this plug for" it's not my picture:

I cannot figure out what the connector on the USB dongle is in order to then search for an adapter:

Essentially I need to find something that will take that plug in the first picture and allow me to plug it into that piece in the 3rd picture.

Anyone know what this is? I can't seem to figure it out and so have no idea what type of adapter to look for.

Thanks.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Hoping someone can help me find an FM antenna adapter

The antenna looks like a push-on UHF connector, and the dongle looks like a push-on mini UHF connector, but it can't tell without some measurements

It could also be a Belling-Lee connector

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

The Belling-Lee connector looks identical, I measured and the plug on the end of the antenna is 3/8" across. Looking at a Belling-Lee online and it saying it is commonly used for both TV and FM I think that may be the right connector, the dongle apparently can pick up TV signals as well.

Now to see if I can find an ISO to Belling-Lee adapter, which I get the feeling is not going to be easy either. For some reason I can see me having to figure out a way to make something.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Get the connectors, a piece of coax, and get to soldering.

...or, open up the dongle, remove the connector from the board, and solder the coax in place with an ISO end.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

That may be the easiest option, if I can I think I will try to get the connectors and make a little pig tail type thing. If nothing else opening up the dongle and soldering to the board should be easy enough as well. If I remember correctly coax is pretty straight forward to work with. Might have to pick up something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-F...0AAOSwRH5XK8Jo and cut the end off to solder to the board.

Harder than I would have thought to just find a bare female ISO connector or an extension of some kind. At least if I crack open the dongle and screw it up it was only $8.

Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix