Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How loud does it need to be, in terms of SQ

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: How loud does it need to be, in terms of SQ

Thanks everyone for the insights and info. It never ceases to amaze me how much info you guys can provide, and how willing you are to share it. I am gaining confidence every time I ask a question.

2. Back To Top    #12

My car gets kinda loud, lol. I've got a 60×4 on my mids and tweets......ok, it may be a bit under rated, but the point I'm trying to make is massive overkill power is a luxury, not a requirement. Your 90 watts should be plenty to drive any speaker short of a sub to its mechanical or thermal limits, and still have some left over.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    kinda loud
    Kinda loud??
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post

So you can see that if you want to match the output of the passenger side (because it's further away) to the driver's side, then you can expect you'll need more power OR you attenuate the nearer speakers. So, it really depends on how you look at it: more power on one side or less power on the other. The safe answer is to set up the further side for the volume you need (not forgetting to factor in what the speakers can handle) and then just level match the near side output to that.
    I have found in all 3 of my stock location, for one person, 2 way front setups that I have to apply more power in certain bandwidths to the driver's side due to the dispersion characteristics of the speaker and location. Of course I never really tell people this because it would lead to an argument online but that's the way she blows, and measures.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I have found in all 3 of my stock location, for one person, 2 way front setups that I have to apply more power in certain bandwidths to the driver's side due to the dispersion characteristics of the speaker and location. Of course I never really tell people this because it would lead to an argument online but that's the way she blows, and measures.
    You should see my drivers side midbass boost at 80hz........lmao.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

The midbass is so balled up in the floorboards I rarely can tell a L/R bias unless something is rather wrong.. The wavelength of 80 cycles is 14 feet long.

7. Back To Top    #17

Balled up, hmm, maybe, the audible part of it wasn't clear......just sounded wonky and caused the lower midbass to want to hover below the dash under the rest of the stage. The mic clearly showed serious discrepancies in levels right at 80hz. Massive cutting of the passenger driver, and some mild boosting of the closer door helped the audible response dramatically, and gave the midbass a better sense of depth, as well as an apparent increase in height of the lower midbass frequencies........

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Balled up, hmm, maybe, the audible part of it wasn't clear......just sounded wonky and caused the lower midbass to want to hover below the dash under the rest of the stage. The mic clearly showed serious discrepancies in levels right at 80hz. Massive cutting of the passenger driver, and some mild boosting of the closer door helped the audible response dramatically, and gave the midbass a better sense of depth, as well as an apparent increase in height of the lower midbass frequencies........
    that just means that things ain't gettin' along

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Clay and Chad, are you guys now talking about the midbass cancelling because of aiming, or too many frequencies reflecting around in the cabin of the vehicle? Is that why there are issues at certain frequencies?