Thread: Tablet integration question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Tablet integration question...

Hello all,

I've been toying with installing a tablet, either IOS or Android, in the dash of my car. I feel pretty good about the fabrication of getting it in the dash...

However, I was hoping to get a techie question answered...

I would like the tablet to turn on/off when the car is started or turned off... How in the world would this be done ?

Sure appreciate the advice of someone that has some hands on experience...!

THANKS

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Re: Tablet integration question...

Like from stand-by or from completely off?
    Are you thinking the tablet will be a permanent fixture or something you take with you?
    If the charging port is tied in as accessory it'd activate the tablet when it sees power I'd think, but the tablet would have been effectively on anyway.

I'm interested as well.. Considering going no-head-unit for a Tacoma build if I can make it happen.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

3. Back To Top    #3

From my research...

The tablet would never really go totally off. It would go into a deep sleep mode, basically loosing 1-3% of battery per day if not on. But once the car is started up it will begin to charge.

I'm looking at a permanent mounting solution. My car is a bit tricky since a good install kit doesn't exist. So, I bought another OEM radio bezel at a salvage yard and plan to start hacking it up... I've been very fortunate and found some very good examples.
    After measuring my dash opening area... A Nexus 7 looks to fit the bill... picked one up for $60.00....

In my car the tablet will simply be GUI... I'm going to install a Sony GS9 along with a 1TB SSD. The SongPal app will control the Sony and the tablet will be my GPS and other extra functions.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I'm interested as well.. Considering going no-head-unit for a Tacoma build if I can make it happen.
    Been helping Sq_tsx over on DIYMA with this, let me know if you get any questions. I run a Nexus 7 with Timur's kernel/ROM, when the power is removed it goes into deep sleep (airplane mode on, wifi/bluetooth off, I believe it also prevents notifications from Google apps waking it as well), typically I will lose 1% at most overnight with it sitting. With a good power supply, I run a DCDC-USB with the output programmed to 5.4V, it charges back up to 100% in minutes.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Been helping Sq_tsx over on DIYMA with this, let me know if you get any questions. I run a Nexus 7 with Timur's kernel/ROM, when the power is removed it goes into deep sleep (airplane mode on, wifi/bluetooth off, I believe it also prevents notifications from Google apps waking it as well), typically I will lose 1% at most overnight with it sitting. With a good power supply, I run a DCDC-USB with the output programmed to 5.4V, it charges back up to 100% in minutes.
    Thank you VERY much for your advice !

I'm seriously looking at this as an option for my TSX... Could be a pretty smooth solution...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

As I mentioned over there though, I would not bother with the GS9, would just seem to be a waste considering all that the Nexus will do. Not sure if you are aware, but you can set up steering wheel controls very simply with it as well.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #7

The more I dig into this.... the more interesting this little project gets...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    I have that same power supply I'm planning to use for the HDMI-toslink converter box. May run into questions there on programming it. Looks like a great little piece. Would be nice to power to 5v hdmi box and charge the iDevice from it if that's possible.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did