Thread: Pawn shop find

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Pawn shop find

Been think of building a table for my skill table saw (not the greatest), but I found this at a pawn shop for 80 buxs, no the greatest, but better that what I have right now.. Just need to build me a fence (which I have been looking at building anyways).

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Pawn shop find

Nice find, Little bit of cleaning up, and she'll be a beaut!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

yeah, the one concern is that it's not belt driven.. I did a few test cuts, the blade needs to go.. and kick backs might be a big problem..

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

You probably need to check the blade alignment

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Just threw it in there.. need to get some sand paper for my orbital sander and sand it and clear coat.. I hope this works out.. I got big plans that I need to get in before finals..

6. Back To Top    #6

funny thing, those flex shaft.

a carpenter working on my house said "your shaft is bent slightly" in regards to the table saw, and he said it made the saw blade last longer by very lightly wobbling or something, because we never had to change out the blade through the course of a house build. The carpenter said he never used a table saw that long without needing a blade change and to this day, it's still going. The flex drive seems to be what wears out on these, but over 20 years on the same one means that some of them last.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

So I spent some time last nice sanding: 100, 150, 220 and sprayed it with WD-40, wipe off, repeat.. Then wiped off again.. Installed a spare blade I had (good blade) and cut some MDF, still getting some kick back, but then again, I don't have a true fence at the moment.. But definitely straight compared to my skil table saw.. so now I just need a fence and build a rolling table with router station for it..

crazy thing that after I buy this one. craiglist has a few belt driven ones minus the wings for same price..

8. Back To Top    #8
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Definitely get a good fence on it, and be careful using it. Table saws are the shit, but they're also hell if you aren't being safe. We had a guy in the ER this week who literally cut the whole top half of his hand off with one. No idea how he managed that... usually it's part of a finger or two, but this guy actually cut all the way across his hand at the palm just below the first knuckles, lost all four fingers and part of his thumb. Jeez... talk about a bad day.