Thread: Legitimate question: Do I have to worry about my car burning down?

1. Back To Top    #1

Legitimate question: Do I have to worry about my car burning down?

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I think it's finally time I start building in my Suburban. I've decided to keep it around, so I'm gonna need a kickin' system for my daily commute.

Now, I already have a lot of my build in storage; a Zed Leviathan, some speakers, and today's discussion: a Taramps HD6500 (2 Ohm)

I've got to say, feedback on these amps is usually pretty extreme one way or the other. Being a brazilian amp, they definitely attract certain kinds of people. However, I'm looking for some real-world advice here.

Some guys swear by these things, while some will even go as far as to say it'd be dangerous to install mine. Stories of smoke factories and fires have me kinda spooked, and I was just curious if these things are safe to run, and what the best ways are to keep them happy. I know they don't like heat or low voltage, anybody else got anything to pitch in?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Legitimate question: Do I have to worry about my car burning down?

I have absolutely no experience with them, but I've heard it said that they are basically variable frequency arc welders. I don't know how true this is, or how hard they were running them, installation practices, fusing, etc. I would say as long as you have proper fusing and wire size, you should be okay...but this is assuming that they don't have some kind of internal problems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with them, but I've heard it said that they are basically variable frequency arc welders. I don't know how true this is, or how hard they were running them, installation practices, fusing, etc. I would say as long as you have proper fusing and wire size, you should be okay...but this is assuming that they don't have some kind of internal problems.
    Appreciate the insight, that's pretty much where I stand with it, too. If the chance is there, I want to know about it...but who's to say why these faults happened in the first place.

Bump, hopefully for some more information.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Do you have any way to test the amp before installing it in your car? Outside of that I would say it's no more likely than any amp being faulty. Case in point, I had a JBL MS-A5001 try to burn my car down. Internal short was causing 12V to head out through the RCA, my sub cut out while driving home one day. Got home and looked in the trunk to find some melted RCA's and a hole melted into the plastic on the trunk floor. Thankfully it did not burn through the power wires or anything substantial.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix