Thread: Question on the dbx 482

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on the dbx 482

Hello guys....

I've noticed that many of the consistently top SQ cars use the dbx 482 for processing...

I know it is a converted pro audio unit... however... what sets this unit apart from say mobile audio specific Helix DSP Pro.... or even other pro audio units such as a Behringer DCX2496..... ?

Just hoping someone that might have some experience with the unit would chime in and shed some light on the unit...

THANKS GUYS !

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Re: Question on the dbx 482

Many? I think there are three. Kirk Profit, Ben Vollmer and Mark Eldridge.

In general the dbx, and the tad bit more common Rane, have more delay, more eq power and mixing capabilities.

Most of the "advanced" features most people will never need or know how to use. These dsp's were more popular when 12v dsp's had little options or capabilities. Today the many options for 12v dsp's alleviate the need for a pro unit in about 99% use cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle
    2004 Monte Carlo, 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Edition

Pretty much what Robert said. The pro audio units have more processing power. From what I hear the software to program them by are complicated to use. I've seen and heard of several other people using them but they don't frequent the forums that much if at all that I know of. They cost sometimes more than twice what a car audio version does, then you have to convert them to 12v. Before I got my Helix Pro I was thinking of getting a Rane that was for sale but just didn't have the room to install it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for chiming in guys !

Was just curious if there were a specific feature that was unique... or if it were the sum of its parts....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk