Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp strapping? Old timers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Amp strapping? Old timers?

Okay, a long long time ago. I believe it was on ECA, but may have been CarSound, it was before diyma.
    There was an article written about how to strap amps. Even amps that were never designed to be strapped.
    I believe it was Richard Clark that wrote it. Does anybody remember that? I had the article copied and saved on a computer, that I can no longer get to boot up.
    Or more importantly, does anybody know how to do it?!
    I have always wanted to try it. Just never got around to it. I never had amps I was willing to sacrifice to an accident if I screwed something up.
    But, now I do! And, I wanna try something different!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Wm
    Vehicle
    1998 Chevy X-Cab..1998 Honda CRV

Re: Amp strapping? Old timers?

I would be interested to find out if possible as well..be interesting to know.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

is this where you bridge two amps or parallel two amps?

4. Back To Top    #4

YES

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

which one?

6. Back To Top    #6

Which one what? Which amps? Yamaha YPA-600, I have eight of them. And, they were dirt cheap. So, even if I ruin a couple trying, I wouldn't be out a bunch of $$$$.
    And It just sounds fun. I like different shit.

I am pretty dang sure it was Richard Clark who wrote the article/post I am referring to. The details are fuzzy, its been a long time.
    But, one thing I specifically remember for sure is: after the thread got rolling, he said that any two amps could be strapped. Even different power level amps from different manufacturers.
    But, it was easier to strap same model amps.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your question Chad. Which one? Bridged or parallel?
    It is where you power one load with two amps. But, you get the positive lead from one amp, and the negative from the other. I actually think the amps are in series? I am not sure.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

his questions
    Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    is this where you bridge two amps or parallel two amps?

you answer
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    YES
    Chad didnt ask a yes or no question but you answered yes. lol. Thats why Chad asked "which one".
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
    Chad didnt ask a yes or no question but you answered yes. lol. Thats why Chad asked "which one".
    Apparently you did not see my edit? (which was made 30mins before your post)

In my defense, I am an electrical dummy, and I hastily assumed that he was using both phrases to describe the same thing. Had that been the case, a "YES" answer made sense.

In your defense, well, you don't have any. Thanks for pointing out the fact that I am an idiot. But, it was completely unnecessary. I handled it on my own.

Like I said, you must not have read my edit.
    Last edited by wheelieking71; 02-03-2016 at 09:48 AM.

9. Back To Top    #9

So, Chad, I don't know the answer to your question. "strapping" is the term I remember being used in the old thread.

I am aware some amps are designed to be "strappable". But, the gist of the old thread was that any amps could be strapped, and he kinda outlined the basics of how.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Apparently you did not see my edit? (which was made 30mins before your post)
    you would be correct. Didnt see that. looks like everyone is back on the same page. good deal. I wasnt making you look like an idiot, just trying to help. We dont do drama here. Im pretty sure Al has a sign that says "leave your butt hurtin at the door" lol. Tis all in good fun and learning.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts