Thread: Rainbow 2 Ohm Speakers vs. Zapco amp

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Rainbow 2 Ohm Speakers vs. Zapco amp

Another noob question from the slow learner! I am looking at a set of Rainbow CSX 465.20 components which are 160w rms@ 2 Ohms. I already have a Zapco ST-105D BT 5 channel amp which says it will run @ 2 Ohms 4ch x 180w rms + 1 x 350w rms. The speakers will be (4) 6.5" mids (1 in each door of my truck), + 2 tweeters up front. Will this cause a problem for my amp, having the mids and tweeters on 1 channel? Will this take it to 1 Ohm? Should I run the rear door 6.5's off of the HU, and run each front stage speaker off of it's own channel? For now, I will be running passive crossovers.

I am going to purchase another amp to run my subs, as I believe this amp is under powered for the subs I have.

Every time I read something new, I start questioning my choices of equipment. Obviously, I started purchasing backwards. I guess I should have gotten my speakers first, and that would have told me the wattage and ohm load I needed out of the amp(s). I will know the correct way when it's time to upgrade, but for now I guess it's the school of hard knocks (on my wallet)...lol

Thank you for any and all information and opinions, as always!!! You guys are my mentals (I mean mentors!!!)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Rainbow 2 Ohm Speakers vs. Zapco amp

You can measure the ohms at the crossover [ where you will attach the power wire ] with a digital multi meter set to the Omega sign or horseshoe looking type symbol.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

So, if it reads under 2 Ohms, then I need to switch each speaker to it's own channel?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

DC resistance will read lower than the quoted nominal impedance. Don't let that freak you out. Also, the woofer and tweeter don't play in the same range when connected to the crossover. Probably not when wired straight to the amp, either. Impedance of a speaker will change depending on the frequency being played. You still need a highpass filter for the tweeters, though. As long as you connect everything properly, you should have no problem running what you have. Some will argue against running rear speakers in an SQ system.

edit: I was checking out those speakers. Looks like you connect two 4ohm woofers and a tweeter (probably also 4 ohm, i bet) to each crossover. How did you plan to connect them to the amp? If you connect one woofer and tweeter to each of the front channels through the crossovers, and one woofer to each of the rear channels, you will get a 4ohm load on all channels.
    Last edited by papacueball; 12-20-2015 at 11:43 AM.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I'm starting to rethink the rear speakers myself. I think I can get a little better set of fronts instead of worrying about the people in the back seat twice a year!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

hope it works out very well !!
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Thanks Hic! I will eventually make up my mind, then I'll need a bunch more advice!!! Thanks for everything so far!