Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: "The Distraction" Why I haven't updated the stereo in my car...

1. Back To Top    #81
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: "The Distraction" Why I haven't updated the stereo in my car...

I got my radiator. In case I forgot to mention it.

Yeah, there's a bunch of people talking about problems they've had with aluminum radiators over on LS1Tech right now. I already bought it, and I'm going to do what I can to mount it as good as possible, but I can't say I'm not a little worried. Hopefully I get at least a couple years out of it.

I haven't done much to the truck over the last few weeks, but I've been working on my garage. I've been taking the handicapped ramp out in sections when I have time. I took the first section out and used the wood to build a bench. I bought a new vice, and for the first time in at least 20 years I have a vice mounted to a bench. I can also mount my bench grinder on the bench, as well. lol

This should free up a lot of space in the garage for me to get around the truck. I also made a shelf that will bolt to the unused man door so I can finally use the air conditioner I've had for years. Hoping this will at least let me keep it somewhat comfortable when it's stupid hot out and I can keep progress up.

Hit the junkyard this morning, and got calipers and abutment brackets from a 2000 Camaro. The 3 yards I go to usually only get 94-97 F-bodies. I saw they put a 2000 out yesterday and figured I'd see if they were still there...and they were, surprising since the car was right on the aisle. I had been debating between these and the 4 piston Brembos from the Cadillac ATS. These presented themselves, so I went with these.

I found a guy on eBay that sells brackets and turned down rotors to adapt C5 and C6 calipers to a 1st gen S-10, but he only has a rating in the 97% range. I usually try not to buy from people with less than 99%....but since Sean seems to have gone MIA and Flynbye seems to be less than reputable, I'm debating on taking the chance. He does include bearings and stuff in his kits, so at least I wouldn't have to go grab those. He does sell the turned down rotors separately, and I can make my own brackets I guess.

Anyway, I'm still alive, truck isn't dead.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #82
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Wow. I'm a little behind. My local JY finally got a 2000 Camaro in that I got the calipers from. I also got 1998+ 4th gen F-body spare tires so I can still roll the truck around.
    Picked up some Belltech drop spindles and all new bearings and seals. I'm going to make my own brackets. I bought a drill press. I finished the welding up on the frame, cleaned it up and painted the area under the cab. Pulled the cab, did most of the body work on the driver's side rocker and painted it. It's only temporary until spring. Seam sealed the cab floor.

Untitled by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

I had a local machine shop turn down some S-10 rotors into hubs. Paid way too much, I think, but whatever.

I can't put the cab back on (permanently) until I can find two front body mount cups. One of mine is probably useable, but the other is shot. I had to use a hole saw to drill through
    the captive nuts in the floor, and apparently I went right through the upper mount cup. Oops.

Anyway, that was a quick catchup.

Jay

3. Back To Top    #83

Put in some Redline "water wetter" and hope for the best.

4. Back To Top    #84
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    Put in some Redline "water wetter" and hope for the best.
    In regards to the radiator? I'm planning to use something like that. I don't think it's necessary, but
    I see too many people build cars and neglect the cooling system.

Jay

5. Back To Top    #85
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Have you been able to work on this project at all?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #86
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

As it so happens...here's a copy of my post on S10 forums.

And on this episode of "You guys were right, I should have got a Southern cab..."

Basically, my GF asked if I could get the cab back on the frame "because end of this month will be a year."

I got fired at the beginning of October, so I decided to take some time and catch up on some things.

I welded in my Slosh Tubz firewall panel (and fixed some rust while I was at it),

I needed to get that in so I can figure out what I'm doing (and more specifically where I'm going to weld brackets) for an A/C box. Can't paint it yet, since when I weld brackets in it will burn the paint anyway.

Back when I replaced the floor on the driver's side, I cut through the lower inner fender bracket. Luckily, I kept the part I cut off, because I haven't been able to find a clean one at all. so I fixed it and reattached it to the truck today.

So, now I can put the cab back on the frame. Stick all the parts back on/in the cab and clean up my garage.

Jay

7. Back To Top    #87
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I also went back to the LS1 brake post by @hi_im_sean and made a 3d model of the bracket. Then I thought I would convert it to a DXF file and send it to Sendcutsend.com and have them laser cut...BUT, a) they would be like $86 ea AND they don't offer the right thickness of material (which I already have.) So, after playing with settings on my 3d printer, I got it to print accurately...so now I can just stick the template to the material and use my center punches to make sure my holes are in the right spot. Now I just need to set up my drill press that has been sitting on the floor of my garage almost as long as the cab has been outside. lol

Also, here's a pic of the welding in progress:

Jay

8. Back To Top    #88
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Well, today was likely the last nice day I'd have to work on the truck...so I made all my panels (and tacked them in) to shave the firewall. I cut up the old convertible roof from the first cab I had to make the filler panels.

Yesterday I started playing with the wiper setup. I may not use this motor...if it is in the exact right spot, it clears everything, but the arm needs bent differently to avoid the arm on the passenger side wiper.

Yesterday I cut up the two 1st gen dashes I had so I could put them in the trash. They were both cracked. I did save the computer and speedometer module from one of them. I have a couple of 1st gen clusters, as well.

Jay

9. Back To Top    #89
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Well, crap...the pics didn't transfer over. This is the important one.

I am trying to adapt a Toyota Matrix wiper motor (but it doesn't look like it has a park function built in, so I may swap to something else.) inside the cowl, so I can have a smoother firewall.
    I may mount my coils in that vicinity. We'll see.

10. Back To Top    #90
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

OK, I finished welding in the filler panels and stuff, and ground them down. I also welded in 3 M6x1.0 studs into the firewall so I didn't have bolts protruding through the firewall that hold the pedal assembly on. After I knocked all the welds down, I touched up a couple of spots that I missed when welding the first time around and gave it a coat of black paint to protect it in case it gets put outside for any length of time.

I'll sand this off when I paint the cab eventually, but the primer I used on the bead rolled panel was still letting rust get to work.

Jay