Thread: Who's working at the USGP? This guy!

1. Back To Top    #1

Who's working at the USGP? This guy!

I am fortunate enough to live pretty damn close to a very good racetrack, Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX. I recently worked my first ever flag marshal gig, which some of you may remember me posting about. I worked the Lone Star Le Mans event, where both the IMSA TUDOR and FIA WEC endurance races were held. It's a very big pro event for a first time marshal, so I felt pretty lucky. Some photos I took of that are here: http://www.gilbertklessphotography.c...-Le-Mans-2015/

Well, the Formula 1 US Grand Prix is coming up at the end of October, and I was accepted to marshal that! For those that don't know, Formula 1 is essentially the epitome of circuit racing. This is where all the money and fans are. Normally, in any other country, you have to have a much higher minimum experience to qualify to marshal, something like 12 races and a training session and license, or along those lines. For that reason, I feel extremely lucky, being this is only my second (of many to come, I'm addicted) time marshaling. Very excited for this.

Anyone ever attend a Formula 1 event, or anyone attending the USGP?
    Build log: 2011 Chevrolet Impala
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370
    Ground Zero GZHA 4200XII & 2400XII

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Who's working at the USGP? This guy!

Sounds like fun...congrats, dude!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

You da man!

I've been a fan of F1 forever and attended many races, so I am green with envy! It will be especially cool with an American, Alexander Rossi, in a Manor car.

Have a blast and go Ferrari!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
    You da man!

I've been a fan of F1 forever and attended many races, so I am green with envy! It will be especially cool with an American, Alexander Rossi, in a Manor car.

Have a blast and go Ferrari!
    Rossi just finished 18th in Japan :/

But for sure going to be awesome!
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

5. Back To Top    #5

Despite no less than torrential rain, flooding, track evacuations, long hours standing outside in the rain and wind, my tent being destroyed and having to head home between days, race cancellations, and a bunch of other things in the way of a good racing day, I had an AMAZING time at the 2015 USGP. Just an awesome experience. Recovered one Toro Rosso after wall impact, and two Porsche MOBIL 1 Supercup GT3 cars. Got to stand on the track during the drivers parade. Got to wave flags for the top drivers in the world. And then got to stand trackside during the victory lap to congratulate Hamilton on his 3rd world championship, while a seemingly very upset (unnamed) driver burned by at 125mph+ about 5 feet from me. Race was awesome. Got some free gear. Got an experience I will remember for a long long time. See you next year Formula 1.
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

I was wondering about you Gilbert when I was watching "practice" or wake boarding or whatever it turned out to be.

Thrilled to hear you had an amazing experience despite the weather. I am guessing you didnt have much time for pics?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
    I was wondering about you Gilbert when I was watching "practice" or wake boarding or whatever it turned out to be.

Thrilled to hear you had an amazing experience despite the weather. I am guessing you didnt have much time for pics?
    No sir. We weren't able to due to legal issues while the track was hot, but also the rain was so bad most of the weekend I wouldn't have wanted to anyway. Which sucks, I was so jealous every time I saw one of the event photogs walk by.

But yeah, it was wet. And cold. But the race made everything alright. Was awesome to see the 20ft high rooster tails those things create (the wet tires displace 65 liters of water per second ), and then how fast they can be when it's dry. When it was wet, the Toro Rosso cars were fast as hell, and if it stayed wet they would have no doubt been out front. Then seeing the two Mercedes get out front when it got dry, seeing Vettel come from the back of the pack, watching in disbelief the mistake Rosberg made, and then hanging on while Vettel caught Rosberg at lap 54. Really thought he was going to get him, but Rosberg didn't allow the pass. Overall just an amazing race, many say easily the best of the season. And only 12 finished!

You watched the practice on Friday? I know FP2 was cancelled. And then qualifying was moved to Sunday morning. Which was kinda cool, because the fans got qual and the GP all in one day. And I'm really glad the race was good, because it would have left a terrible taste in people's mouths after the weekend they went through if the race was a parade. Which is not good, especially here in the US. We have a tough time getting people out in even perfect weather.
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370